Comforting meals don’t have to contain meat to stick to your ribs, and this chickpea-based vegan curry proves it. Its main ingredients are healthy and inexpensive, and each lends a special flavor: sweetness from tomatoes and cinnamon, savory spice from chickpeas and cumin, and richness from onions and coconut milk. The ingredients are common enough to find at most grocery chains, though it would be even more fun to shop at a local Indian market for the curry powder and, without a doubt, impulse buys like fresh naan and mango lassi. Scroll on for curry so delicious and nourishing, you’ll look forward to the week’s worth of leftovers as soon as you take the first bite.
VEGAN chickpea CURRY
Adapted from Jessica in the Kitchen
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package baby spinach
- 13.5 ounces canned coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 lime
- cooked rice
- Add coconut oil to a deep pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, tomatoes, salt, and pepper to the pan, and stir. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tomatoes release juices and onions soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas, garlic, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper until combined. Add spinach, coconut milk, and flour, and stir again. Bring the curry to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove curry from heat, top with lime juice, and serve over rice.
Craving more Indian recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
(Photo via Sara Cagle / Brit + Co)