14 Fruity Recipes That Defy Seasonality
We’re all about eating with the seasons and selecting produce fresh from the farmers market. But there’s no denying that cravings for berries and other summery selections are known to strike in the dead of winter. Paying a ton for less-than-tasty fruit is no one’s idea of a good time. Happily, frozen, canned and freeze-dried selections abound at every grocery store and since they’re preserved at their peak they have just the sweet, fresh-picked aroma we’re looking for. You don’t need to wait to make these 14 glamorous goodies ’cause they’re terrific any time of year.
2. Vanilla Panna Cotta With Raspberry Coulis: It takes practically no time at all to make the puddle of sweet-tangy raspberry sauce on which this creamy panna cotta rests. Of course, the coulis is just as yummy drizzled over chocolate cake, ice cream and so much more. (via Migalha Doce)
3. Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies: Using frozen blueberries in this dough serves a twofold purpose: (1) They allow you to enjoy these chewy delights even in the dead of winter and (2) they firm up the too-soft-to-scoop brown butter dough instantly. You’ll have ’em baking away in the oven before you know it. (via Lady and Pups)
5. Frozen Grapes Daiquiri: Frozen grapes are a refreshing, cooling snack during the sweltering months, but they also make for one incredible icy daiquiri, no store-bought mix required. (via Lady and Pups)
6. Strawberry Bonbons: It couldn’t be easier to make these oh-so-sweet ice cream bonbons. A sprinkle of pistachios and freeze-dried strawberries is the final flourish that takes them to the next level. (via Mia Loves Pretty)
8. Strawberry-Vanilla Individual Cheesecakes: Crushing freeze-dried strawberries into powder and then folding them into cheesecake batter ensures that every bite is berry-liscious. (via Fairly Nerdy Food)
10. Glazed Salmon With Peaches: Here, sweet, flaky salmon gets a tasty upgrade with a brush of fruit glaze. Adding a spoonful of whole-grain Dijon and soy sauce to the mix adds just enough savory balance. (via Beyond Kimchee)
11. Real Pineapple-y Macarons: Flavoring the shells of notoriously finicky macarons can prove to be a bit of a feat. Luckily, freeze-dried fruit — pineapple, here — works beautifully to infuse them naturally with essence. (via Cake on the Brain)
13. Three-Ingredient Chicken Pineapple Skewers: Need an appetizer in a hurry? Make these three-ingredient skewers with only canned pineapple, teriyaki sauce and chicken. Serve them on their own or transform them into delicious lettuce wraps. (via Brit + Co)
14. Rice Krispies Treats Bark: We’ve seen our fair share of Rice Krispies Treats over the years, but these may be the fanciest five-ingredient ones to date. Toasting the marshmallows first adds the perfect amount of subtle caramel-y edge. (via Kailley’s Kitchen)
Do you preserve your own fruit? What are your favorite ways to use canned, frozen or freeze-dried selections? Let us know below.