Frankly, we don’t think there is anything zucchini can’t do (faux pasta-wise), and when it’s sliced thin and layered with meat, cheese, and veggies, this carb-free lasagna seriously can’t be beat. What’s more, it’s a friendly way to dip your toes into the ketogenic diet, which is all about burning fat for fuel instead of sugar-laden carbs. We say that’s an excuse in itself to sprinkle even more cheese onto your lasagna.
carb-free zucchini lasagna
Note: To slice the zucchini thin and uniformly, we recommend using a mandoline.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic knots, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound ground meat (like beef, pork, or dark-meat chicken)
- seasonings (salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, Italian seasoning), to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded cheeses (a combo of gouda, mozzarella, and parmesan works well)
- basil, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. While the oven is coming to temperature, prep the veggies.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat, then drizzle in olive oil. Add onion, garlic, carrot, and tomato. Cook until caramelized and softened.
- Heat another pan, and brown your meat of choice. Season it to taste. Combine the vegetables with the meat, and simmer on low with the spaghetti sauce. Season to your liking.
- Add a spoonful of the sauce to the bottom of a small, square casserole dish creating a base for layering. Then add the sliced zucchini noodles, meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, allowing the cheese to get bubbly good with a slight crust on top.
- Garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy!
What’s the one recipe you share with your friends and family since embarking on the keto diet? Let us know @BritandCo.
(Photo via “Matassa, Mario” / Getty Images)