Try This Keto-Friendly Steak Taco With Cheese Shell Recipe
Keto dieters listen up: your favorite taco fillings, including steak, are stuffed inside crispy cheddar cheese shells for a beginner recipe that's easy enough to tackle on a weeknight for one person. This recipe might leave you with a little leftover steak… but who's complaining about that? Chop it up and add it to a salad the next day. Be sure to look for a taco seasoning that is low in carbs as some brands sneak in sugar. Customize the toppings to your liking, and let the feasting begin.
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 New York strip steak
- 1/4 stick butter
- diced tomato, for topping
- sour cream, for topping
- sliced avocado, for topping
- sliced jalapeño, for topping
- lime zest, for topping
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a Silpat. Set out four glasses that are similar in height and rest a wooden cooking spoon over each pair of glasses. These suspended spoons will be used to shape the tortillas.
Divide cheese into three mounds on top of lined sheet pan. Use hand to flatten and spread cheese into circles spaced 1-2 inches apart. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or cheese appears lacy and is golden-brown on the edges.
Use a spatula to carefully drape tortillas over suspended spoons to create tortilla shape. Allow to dry and harden.
Meanwhile, sprinkle taco seasoning over both sides of the steak. You may not use the whole packet.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. If using a grill pan, melt butter over the top and allow to brown slightly. For medium rare or medium steak, cook for 2-3 minutes. Rotate steak 90 degrees using a fork, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Flip steak with a fork, and repeat process. Remove steak onto a plate and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes, before slicing into thin strips against the grain.
To assemble, fill taco shells with pinch of lettuce, a few strips of steak, a dollop of sour cream, a smattering of diced tomato and avocado, a few thin slices of jalapeño, and a dash of lime zest.
Follow us on Pinterest for more recipe inspo!
(Recipe via Anna Monette Roberts / Brit + Co)
This article has been updated from a previous post.
- 14 Make-Ahead Keto Casserole Recipes That Make Dinner a Breeze ›
- This Keto-Friendly Zucchini Lasagna Recipe Saves Dinner - Brit + Co ›
- Curb Tot Cravings With This Cheesy, Keto-Friendly Recipe - Brit + Co ›
- Keto-Friendly Ricotta Chicken Meatballs Recipe FTW - Brit + Co ›
- Keto Cheese Ball Recipe Loaded With Your Face Potato Fixings - Brit + Co ›
- 20 Keto Dinner Recipes That Will Make Your Life *Way* Easier - Brit + Co ›
- This Meal Plan Is Like an Enneagram for Your Diet - Brit + Co ›