Crazy for Coconut Butter? 10 DIYs to Try!
There’s something sexy about the way butter melts onto… well, just about anything. But a healthy-fat alternative is even hotter! No churning required — all you need is a food processor or blender. If you’re looking for ways to amp up your toast game, look no further because we’ve got ten dairy-free, sugar-free, nut-free, paleo and vegan-friendly coconut spreads that you can whip up in no time! (Bonus: all of these recipes have 5 ingredients or less!)
1. Classic Coconut Butter: You just need one (yes, you read that correctly, ONE) ingredient to make this not-so-basic butter: shredded unsweetened coconut. Throw a bag of it in your food processor or blender until it gets smooth (ten-ish minutes) and if it needs a little help, add in 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil. (via Chocolate Covered Katie)
2. Blackberry, Cacao and Fig Coconut Butters: The possibilities are endless when it comes to creating flavored coconut butter. We love the idea of using fruit that’s in season as a natural sweetener. Try smashed blackberries or chopped figs, OR crushed cacao nibs if you’re okay with being “bad.” (via The Beauty Department)
3. Chocolate Coconut Butter: Dessert is stressed spelled backwards, and a spoonful of this stuff is a sure-fire way to cure a case of the Mondays — or any day that ends in y! Also good with waffles, berries, ice cream — you name it. (We’re keeping a stash in the Brit HQ fridge!) (via My Whole Food Life)
4. Strawberry Coconut Butter + Mini Strawberry Scones: If you’re tired of toast altogether, you can go all out with these gluten-free, vegan and paleo scone minis and top them with a simple 2-ingredient strawberry butter. A batch of these with a spot o’ tea would make us berry happy. (via Secret Recipe Club)
5. Toasted Pecan Coconut Butter: When it comes to mix-ins, we want you to go nuts (unless you’re allergic, of course)! We think it’d be the perfect topping to a hearty bowl of oatmeal or spread on toast with a spiced cider. (via The Curious Fig)
7. Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter: Take some leftover chocolate chips and stir them into plain coconut butter to take waffles, pancakes or a grain-free loaf to the next level. You’re welcome. (via How Sweet Eats)
8. Cinnamon Coconut Banana, Spicy Goji Berry and Espresso Cacao Chip Coconut Butters: Have a brunch or play-date coming up but don’t know what to make that’ll please picky eaters and sensitive tummies? Make this trio of coconut butters with a tray of allergen-friendly crackers and fruit for your spread. (via Lunchbox Bunch)
10. Vanilla Coconut Butter: Stir in high-quality vanilla extract or scrape in a vanilla bean for a yummy flavored butter that will make you feel warm and fuzzy, like wrapping yourself up in a cozy faux fur throw for your taste buds. (via Espresso & Cream)
Which of these coconut butters will you spread on tomorrow’s toast? Have any mix-ins to suggest? Let us know what you think in the comments!