Want Clear, Healthy Skin? Avoid These 17 Foods
Is your skin breakout city, population: one? Skin creams, cleansers and enzyme peels aren’t the only things you need in your beauty arsenal to maintain radiant and glowing skin. It’s not only what you put on your body that keeps it healthy — it’s also what you put in it. If you want to keep your skin in tip-top condition, steer clear of these 17 foods that wreak havoc on your face.
1. Milk: Got acne? Milk may do a body good, but what it does for the skin is another story. Added growth hormones and sugar in milk spike insulin, which causes inflammation and increases oil production. That means unsightly, red pimples — yuck. (via Refinery29)
2. White Bread: A diet with too many starchy foods like white breads, cakes and donuts leads to clogged pores and acne-prone skin. These foods can cause rapid spikes in blood sugar, which trigger the dreaded breakout. (via Everyday Health)
3. “Healthy” Cereal: Don’t let the package lie. “Whole grain,” “low fat” and “natural” cereals can contain spoonfuls of hidden sugar in each bite. Read your labels and protect your skin from cereals filled with wrinkle-inducing sugars. (via Oprah)
4. Peanuts: If you find yourself dipping into the peanut butter jar more than usual, it could be the culprit of oily skin. This crunchy legume contains a hormone that can increase oil production in some people. (via All Women Stalk)
5. Chips: When you’re struggling to resist that crinkling bag of salty goodness, remember this: Chips are packed with refined carbs, which can cause a lot of stress for your body. That stress can take the form of wrinkles, fine lines and pale skin. (via Prevention)
6. Fried Foods: Dang, why do French fries have to be so good, right? We all know fried foods aren’t great for your waistline, but turns out they aren’t the best for your face either. They can actually cause oil and bacteria buildup in your body, which translates to oily, puffy skin. (via Style List)
7. Chargrilled Meat: Heating meat at high temperatures produces a chemical reaction between the fat and protein that results in compounds called “advanced glycation end products” (AGES), which is exactly what’ll happen to your skin if you overdo it on the ‘cue. Like with everything, BBQ is best in moderation. (via Oprah)
8. Deli Meats: While your favorite deli sandwiches might be convenient and tasty, those deli meats and hot dogs are packed with nitrites. Nitrates are guilty of many health risks, including thin and aging skin. (via Best Health)
9. Soy: Unsightly breakouts popping up around your chin, jaw line or neck? Soy milk, tofu and soy derivatives in everything from energy bars to potato chips might be at fault, thanks to soy’s natural plant estrogens. (via Upkeep, photo via Food Matters)
11. Seaweed: Seaweed is one of those things where too much can have an adverse effect. It’s rich in iodine, and anyone with skin sensitivities may experience flare-ups of red, pimply skin if they go overboard with the seaweed. When eaten in moderation, this sea veggie gets an A+ in nutrition. (via All Women Stalk)
12. Sushi: If dry, aged skin isn’t how you wanna to roll, then we suggest eating sushi in moderation. It’s not so much the fish, but the large quantities of salt and rice that go into each roll, sucking away moisture from your skin and leaving it dull and dry. (via Popsugar)
13. Soda: We know, we know: Soda is bad for us. But it’s especially bad for your skin — all that sugar breaks down collagen and accelerates the skin’s aging process. Sip on good ol’ H2O instead. (via Women’s Day)
14. Coffee: If you stick to the “one cup a day” rule of thumb, you may be doing your skin a favor. When you slip into the realm of venti lattes and super-sized mugs, you might be drying your skin and increasing the production of cortisol, which ages and thins the skin. (via Beauty High)
15. Alcohol: Don’t overdo it when it comes to beer, wine and cocktails, ’cause you may end up with more than just a bad headache. Alcohol dehydrates skin, leaving it dry, wrinkly and yearning for moisture. Drink responsibly for healthy skin. (via Good Housekeeping)
16. Salt: Puffy face? Check your salt consumption, because anything over 1,500 mg of sodium per day can wreak havoc on your skin. Excessive salt intake can cause fine lines and wrinkles, especially around the eyes, where skin is thinner. (via Women’s Day)
17. Agave: Foods that are touted as “good for you” aren’t always so, as is the case with this sweet syrup. That “healthy” switch you made by selecting agave over refined sugars can actually contain more fructose than the dreaded high-fructose corn syrup and may speed the appearance of aging. (via Prevention)
What foods do you eat to keep skin in tip-top condition? Let us know in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)