This ’90s Style Staple Was THE Must-Have Accessory at the 2016 Golden Globes
Chokers were killin’ on the runway this time last year, but took a brief hiatus this past summer and fall, taking a backseat to the likes of the skinny scarf and lariat. At the 2016 Golden Globes, your favorite celebs proved that the ’90s-inspired bauble is back in a BIG way. The red carpet is accustomed to over-the-top accessories dripping in diamonds and other precious gems, but leading ladies like Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Dormer and Kate Hudson went for a more modern look this time around, topping off their flawless awards-ready gowns with statement chokers and collar necklaces.
1. Jennifer Lawrence: With it’s bold cutouts, architectural silhouette and pop-over top, JLaw’s red hot dress was a straight-up statement-making stunner. She kept the extras to a minimum to prevent her look from feeling over-the-top, accessorizing her custom Dior design with a silvery chainmail-esque choker and a single diamond-studded ring. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Olivia Wilde: The Meadowland actress looked radiant in a wine-colored Michael Kors gown covered in shimmery sequins. A lariat or pendant necklace would have been the obvious pairing for the dress’s daring plunge neckline, but she opted for an eye-catching Bulgari choker with matching burgundy stones instead — we’re so glad she did. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
3. Jennifer Lopez: The singer and actress ditched her signature sequins and jaw-dropping necklines for a caped Giambattista Valli gown that exuded old Hollywood glamour. But no JLo look is complete without a thigh-high slit and a bit of sparkle. She topped off the canary yellow dress with an ultra luxe interpretation of the ’90s style staple with 200 carats of Harry Winston diamonds. This girl doesn’t mess around. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
4. Sophia Bush: The Chicago P.D. star was the picture of timeless sophistication in a simple black column by Narciso Rodriguez, which she paired with a delicate strand of Martin Katz sparklers. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
5. Olivia Palermo: The front-row frequenter passed on the evening’s favored long gown and strutted her stuff on the red carpet in a short and sassy Delpozo dress. A gilded leaf collar was the perfect finishing touch for the color blocked frock, adding just the right amount of polish to the look-at-me style. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
6. Emmy Rossum: As if Rossum’s va-va-voom Armani Privé dress wasn’t enough to turn heads, the Shameless actress took things to the next level with a sleek diamond choker and a fiery red lip. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
7. Kate Hudson: With an arsenal of shimmery sequins escorting her down the carpet, Kate Hudson decided to skip the obligatory bling. She paired her sparkling peach Michael Kors bra top and skirt with a complementary choker that was oh-so chic. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
8. Natalie Dormer: The fierce and fabulous Game of Thrones goddess killed it in an ethereal (but totally bad ass) J. Mendel gown, complete with off-the-shoulder sleeves and a standout black neckpiece boasting glittering black stones. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
What were your favorite details from last night? Tell us on Twitter @britandco!