14 Congee Recipes for When Your Rice Porridge Craving Strikes
While rice is delicious in every form, from rice bowls to rice noodles to sushi burgers, it’s deeply satisfying when it’s served up in congee. The Asian import — a DIY rice porridge — is the perfect opportunity to use up that *leftover* rice, since it has a higher starch content which adds extra creaminess to the dish. Here are 14 congee recipes that show you how it’s done.
2. Congee (Chinese Rice Porridge): A lot of congee recipes call for bone-in meat, but dried shiitake mushrooms make a gorgeously chewy and flavorful substitute. Toppings like green onions, cilantro, sesame seeds, soy sauce, Sriracha, and a few drops of toasted sesame oil will give it a multi-dimensional flavor. (via It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken)
6. Seafood Congee: When it comes to congee, simplest is often best. This recipe is flavored with just a handful of dried scallops and a few pieces of shrimp. It has such a rich flavor, it’s hard to believe it’s made with just water, not homemade stock. (via Omnivore’s Cookbook)
7. Ginger Chicken Brown Rice Congee: Congee is a *healing* meal, and this brown rice version calls for lots of the natural superfood ginger. Next time you feel a cold coming on, start some congee on your back-burner and you’ll be feeling good as new in no time. (via Gather & Dine)
8. Congee With Homemade Broth: This congee is a great budget meal, because just a cup of rice makes a whole pot of soup. Top yours up with whatever fixins you have in the fridge and it’s all good. (via The Nomadic Wife)
9. Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Congee: Don’t toss that leftover rotisserie chicken carcass — unless you’re *tossing* it into the slow cooker. Start it in the morning and those leftovers will become a comforting meal by lunchtime. (via Roti ‘n’ Rice)
11. Mom’s Pork Bone Congee: You’ll want to make this recipe in the biggest pot in your cooking arsenal, so there will be plenty of leftovers to reheat the next day. Pro tip: Salt the pork bones overnight before cooking and you’ll have yourself a flavor bomb for sure. (via The Woks of Life)
12. Chicken and Ginger Congee (Rice Porridge): Anyone who grew up eating congee will tell you they *crave* it anytime they’re feeling under the weather. This three-ingredient recipe is easy to cook, even if you’re feeling low-energy, and it’s as comforting as a warm blanket and fleecy pajamas — which might also be what you wear while you’re eating it. (via The Worktop)
14. Instant Pot Congee (Jook): If you don’t have time for slow-cooking methods that break down the rice to the right porridge-y creaminess, you can fast-track this recipe in your Instant Pot. Don’t leave out the little dash of Sriracha for an extra shot of zing to your taste buds. (via Budget Bytes)
If you LOVE discovering new healthy comfort foods, follow us on Pinterest for more.