The 15 Home Items Every 30-Year-Old Should Own According to Lauren Conrad
We don’t mind taking a bit of advice from style guru Lauren Conrad. Take a peek into her fabulous Beverly Hills home and you’ll see the girl knows what she’s talking about when she gives decorating and lifestyle tips. Obviously your space should truly be a reflection of you and what you think is important, but LC shared with Elle 15 things she thinks every woman should have in her apartment by age 30. Instead of turning this list into a big shopping spree, we decided to see what things on the list we could DIY (obviously). Check out the awesome buys and DIYs below!
1. A Flea Market Find: There is nothing more satisfying than prowling around a flea market and finding some serious treasures. Unless you count the satisfaction you’ll get from refinishing it into something completely stylish. (via Brit + Co)
2. A Beautiful Area Rug: A good-sized area rug can by pretty pricey, which is why it is way more fun to DIY the perfect rug. And it doesn’t take too much sewing, so don’t panic. Focus on how amazing it will look when it’s laid out in your very grown-up living room. (via Brit + Co)
3. A Living Thing: If “living” doesn’t include something with fur just yet, why not try growing an indoor herb garden? Indoor plants are great for cleaning the air and might even make you more productive. Bring on the good vibes and show off your green thumb. (via Brit + Co)
4. Cake Stand ($20): By age 30, you may or may not have mastered the layered cake. Either way, you need a stylish cake stand in your arsenal. Cute and feminine, the mint frills on this stand help draw the eye away from any frosting mishaps you may encounter.
5. A Set of Wine Glasses ($5 each): They say wine is a girl’s best friend (oh, they don’t say that?), so maybe it’s time to stop drinking it out of a cup and pour it into a proper glass. And now, a toast to your maturity and all the health benefits of that fine rosé.
6. A Dedicated Workspace: Everyone needs a designated workspace, even if you just tuck it into the spare closet. It’s also important to have a workspace you can step away from at the end of the day. Just think of all those awesome desk accessories you’ll get to pick out. (via The Design Files)
7. A Sewing Kit: When an emergency hits, you’ll be grateful you had the foresight to put together a little sewing kit. Grab an empty jar and fill it with a few buttons, pins, safety pins, a thimble and a tape measure. (via Something Turquoise)
8. A Set of Matching Dishes ($64 for 4): Maybe this is the year you finally throw the dinner party of your dreams, or maybe you just want a few matching plates for you and your S.O. Remember, “matching” doesn’t have to mean “boring,” so have fun picking out dishes that are totally in sync with your personality.
9. A Good Selection of Coffee Table Books ($23): The key to a perfectly styled coffee table is a hefty stack of colorful and inspiring coffee table books. From exotic travels to decor porn, these books will give you and your guests plenty to flip through.
10. A Sharp Kitchen Knife ($10): A big set of chef’s knives is something to save up for. In the meantime, please throw out those dull old knives and pick up a few of these colorful beauties. Your fingers and that tomato you’re slaughtering will thank you.
11. A Reliable Vacuum ($460): Yeah, we’re pretty sure you already have one of these guys, but it doesn’t hurt to upgrade.
12. Scented Candles ($22): Set the tone of the day by making your house smell amazing. Natural brands like Penelope use only essential oils and none of that icky paraffin stuff. Orange, patchouli, violet leaves, jasmine, neroli, mimosa and sandalwood — now that’s the scent of maturity.
13. A Coffeemaker ($32-$48): It’s time to bid adieu to that old coffeemaker you inherited from your college roommate. You don’t have to invest in an expensive espresso maker to call yourself an adult. A cold brew set or one of those shiny copper Chimex pots will do the job nicely.
14. A Vase for Fresh Flowers: Treat yourself to flowers on a weekly basis and make sure you have a pretty vase to put them in. This gold-dipped vase is especially striking because it doesn’t require a lot of stems to make a big impact.
15. A Good Mattress: Getting a good night’s sleep will make those Monday morning blues way more bearable. If you dread the thought of walking into a mattress store, check out these companies that make choosing “the one” as painless a process as possible.
What would you add to this “must have” list? Tell us what you think in the comments below!
(h/t Elle; featured photo via Dave Kotinsky/Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.