The 15 Home Items Every 30-Year-Old Should Own According to Lauren Conrad
We don’t mind taking a bit of advice from style guru Lauren Conrad. Take a peek into her fabulous Beverly Hills home and you’ll see the girl knows what she’s talking about when she gives decorating and lifestyle tips. Obviously your space should truly be a reflection of you and what you think is important, but LC shared with Elle 15 things she thinks every woman should have in her apartment by age 30. Instead of turning this list into a big shopping spree, we decided to see what things on the list we could DIY (obviously). Check out the awesome buys and DIYs below!
1. A Flea Market Find: There is nothing more satisfying than prowling around a flea market and finding some serious treasures. Unless you count the satisfaction you’ll get from refinishing it into something completely stylish. (via Brit + Co)
2. A Beautiful Area Rug: A good-sized area rug can by pretty pricey, which is why it is way more fun to DIY the perfect rug. And it doesn’t take too much sewing, so don’t panic. Focus on how amazing it will look when it’s laid out in your very grown-up living room. (via Brit + Co)
3. A Living Thing: If “living” doesn’t include something with fur just yet, why not try growing an indoor herb garden? Indoor plants are great for cleaning the air and might even make you more productive. Bring on the good vibes and show off your green thumb. (via Brit + Co)
4. Cake Stand ($20): By age 30, you may or may not have mastered the layered cake. Either way, you need a stylish cake stand in your arsenal. Cute and feminine, the mint frills on this stand help draw the eye away from any frosting mishaps you may encounter.
5. A Set of Wine Glasses ($5 each): They say wine is a girl’s best friend (oh, they don’t say that?), so maybe it’s time to stop drinking it out of a cup and pour it into a proper glass. And now, a toast to your maturity and all the health benefits of that fine rosé.
6. A Dedicated Workspace: Everyone needs a designated workspace, even if you just tuck it into the spare closet. It’s also important to have a workspace you can step away from at the end of the day. Just think of all those awesome desk accessories you’ll get to pick out. (via The Design Files)
7. A Sewing Kit: When an emergency hits, you’ll be grateful you had the foresight to put together a little sewing kit. Grab an empty jar and fill it with a few buttons, pins, safety pins, a thimble and a tape measure. (via Something Turquoise)
8. A Set of Matching Dishes ($64 for 4): Maybe this is the year you finally throw the dinner party of your dreams, or maybe you just want a few matching plates for you and your S.O. Remember, “matching” doesn’t have to mean “boring,” so have fun picking out dishes that are totally in sync with your personality.
9. A Good Selection of Coffee Table Books ($23): The key to a perfectly styled coffee table is a hefty stack of colorful and inspiring coffee table books. From exotic travels to decor porn, these books will give you and your guests plenty to flip through.
10. A Sharp Kitchen Knife ($10): A big set of chef’s knives is something to save up for. In the meantime, please throw out those dull old knives and pick up a few of these colorful beauties. Your fingers and that tomato you’re slaughtering will thank you.
11. A Reliable Vacuum ($460): Yeah, we’re pretty sure you already have one of these guys, but it doesn’t hurt to upgrade.
12. Scented Candles ($22): Set the tone of the day by making your house smell amazing. Natural brands like Penelope use only essential oils and none of that icky paraffin stuff. Orange, patchouli, violet leaves, jasmine, neroli, mimosa and sandalwood — now that’s the scent of maturity.
13. A Coffeemaker ($32-$48): It’s time to bid adieu to that old coffeemaker you inherited from your college roommate. You don’t have to invest in an expensive espresso maker to call yourself an adult. A cold brew set or one of those shiny copper Chimex pots will do the job nicely.
14. A Vase for Fresh Flowers: Treat yourself to flowers on a weekly basis and make sure you have a pretty vase to put them in. This gold-dipped vase is especially striking because it doesn’t require a lot of stems to make a big impact.
15. A Good Mattress: Getting a good night’s sleep will make those Monday morning blues way more bearable. If you dread the thought of walking into a mattress store, check out these companies that make choosing “the one” as painless a process as possible.
What would you add to this “must have” list? Tell us what you think in the comments below!
(h/t Elle; featured photo via Dave Kotinsky/Getty)
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.