20 Items at Trader Joe’s You NEED If You’re Doing Whole30
If you’ve recently decided to jump on the Whole30 wagon, you know that it can be hard to determine what is compliant and what isn’t. So many grocery items have hidden sugar that you wouldn’t even think to check the label for them. Thankfully, stores like Trader Joe’s have our back for all of our healthy eating needs. From riced cauliflower and broccoli to clarified butter, you can count on TJ’s to bring their best every time. Below you’ll find 20 items at Trader Joe’s that you NEED in your life, especially if you’re heading on a Whole30 journey.
1. Trader Joe’s Broccoli and Kale Slaw ($2.49): This slaw combines shredded broccoli stalks, kale, and radicchio for an ultra-crunchy salad base. Toss out the dressing it comes with and swap for your favorite Whole30-compliant recipe instead.
2. Trader Joe’s Cut Sweet Potatoes ($4.99): No need to break out your cutting board here. You can even steam the whole bag of sweet potatoes in the microwave for a speedy side or simmer right in your soup or chili.
3. Trader Joe’s Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef ($7.49): Believe it or not, even ground beef can have added sugar. But, if you make your own sugar-free BBQ sauce and use this grass-fed ground beef, you can make an antibiotic and hormone-free meatloaf that’ll rival your grandma’s.
5. Trader Joe’s Grass Fed Angus Burgers ($6.99): Grilling out on Whole30 doesn’t have to be a pain. Each burger patty has such amazing flavor, you won’t even notice that you’re eating it between two leaves of lettuce.
6. Trader Joe’s Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast ($5.99): You can’t be without this staple protein when you’re doing Whole30. Each chicken breast is individually ice glazed so that you can cook for one or the whole family whenever you need.
7. Trader Joe’s Wild Caught Crab Meat ($7.99): This is a newer addition to the Trader Joe’s family and it’s perfect for Whole30. Stir into a tomato-based soup with shrimp and clams for a special seafood night meal.
9. Trader Joe’s Avocado’s Number Guacamole ($3.99) Yep, this guacamole is Whole30-approved! Try it in a cauliflower rice burrito bowl with chicken and you won’t even miss your Chipotle fix.
10. Trader Joe’s Raw Shelled Hemp Seed ($5.99): Since fats are *somewhat* limited on Whole30 and proteins are encouraged, these hemp hearts are a great additive to have. They’re full of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids and 10g of protein per serving.
11. Trader Joe’s Kumato Tomatoes ($3.49): These vine-ripened kumato tomatoes are among the sweetest you’ll ever try. Since added sugars are a no-go on Whole30, you have to get your natural fix wherever you can.
12. Trader Joe’s Super Sweet Baby Bell Peppers ($2.69): If you’ve never tried these mini bell peppers, get to your closest Trader Joe’s ASAP. They’re amazing with guacamole, stuffed for a quick appetizer or dipped in hummus post-Whole30.
14. Trader Joe’s Just A Handful of Raw Almonds ($7.99) Nuts are tricky on Whole30 because they have to be completely plain and raw, which is not easy to find. These almonds fit the bill perfectly and even come in pre-portioned packets.
15. Trader Joe’s Wild Sockeye Salmon ($9.99): As soon as you grow tired of chicken, salmon will become your best Whole30 buddy. Roast it with veggies for a simple one-pan meal that requires minimal cleanup.
16. Trader Joe’s Healthy Eight Veggie Mix ($2.99): When you come home from work exhausted and don’t want to think about dinner, you’ll be so happy you decided to get this veggie mix. Throw it into a simple stir-fry with steak and your hangry self will instantly melt away.
17. Trader Joe’s Organic Fresh Basil ($2.99): Since so many sauces are off limits on Whole30, you have to get flavor where you can. Fresh herbs, like basil, will be a life saver for brightening up bland chicken or lackluster pasta sauce.
18. Trader Joe’s Fair Trade Wake Up Blend Coffee ($14.99): Since you have to drink your coffee black, bulletproof or with almond milk, you might as well splurge on the good stuff. This organic fair trade medium roast will give you that morning jolt with a smooth flavor.
19. Trader Joe’s California Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil ($5.99): Olive oil is an essential pantry staple, Whole30 or otherwise. This one is a great value for the quality and has a well-balanced subtle fruity flavor.
20. Trader Joe’s Organic Cole Slaw ($1.99): Your knife will be *very* happy it doesn’t have to chop all of those carrots and heads of cabbage. Try giving this mix quick pickle to use as a homemade sauerkraut or sauté with your favorite Whole30-compliant sausage for a simple dinner.