Meat Beware: These 15 Roasted Veggie Side Dish Recipes Will Steal the Spotlight
All summer long we’ve been munching on crisp spiralized salads and dipping our spoons into refreshing bowls of gazpacho in an effort to beat the dog days of summer. However, summer is going to come to a screeching halt before we know it. In no time, we’ll be throwing those big juicy winter roasts in the oven in order to kick off comfort food season with a hearty welcome. But truth be told, a roast isn’t a *roast with the most* unless it has a kick-butt veg side. Get ready to trade those grilled veggies for the roasted sort, because we’ve got 15 roasted vegetable sides that’ll knock your wooly socks off. And if you’re looking to keep things vegetarian, then just serve with poached eggs on top and you’re done!
1. Maple Roasted Dutch Carrots: The fact that carrots can improve your eyesight might be a myth; what isn’t a myth, however, is how crazy delicious roasted carrots can be. These gorgeous root veggies are tossed with maple syrup and balsamic for a deep, rich flavor perfect for fall meals. (via Cook Republic)
2. Rosemary and Balsamic Glazed Pumpkin: Pumpkin always turns up in food and flavoring come fall, but sometimes it’s nice to enjoy it in its truest form. Roasted with rosemary, this side dish is super fragrant and earthy. Forget those overly sweetened lattes; THIS is the pumpkin we crave. (via Whisk Affair)
3. Roasted Brussels Sprouts: People either love or hate Brussels sprouts — there is no in between. If you fall in the latter category, you’re doing it wrong. Brussels sprouts are dynamite when cooked properly, and this simply seasoned variation will prove it. (via The Blond Cook)
4. One-Pan Roasted Mushrooms: Roasted in a bright and buttery lemon sauce, these mushroom caps might have you skipping the main course. This is one of those sides that you need to make a lot of, because everyone will be asking for second helpings. (via Girl and the Kitchen)
5. Roasted Broccoli Salad With Pine Nuts, Raisins and Feta: Eat your trees! Roasted broccoli is a fave among many when it comes to sides, but this roasted broccoli gets a major upgrade with added nuttiness, sweetness and tang. (via Yummy Beet)
6. Char Siu Style Roasted Eggplant: The days of eggplant Parmesan being the only way to enjoy eggplant are gone. Inspired by the unmistakable flavor of Chinese roast pork, this healthier and lighter version will keep your taste buds happy and longing for more. (via Pickled Plum)
7. Roasted Stuffed Heirloom Tomatoes: This heirloom tomato side dish could also double as a centerpiece, don’t you think? Stuffed with cheese, crème fraîche and thyme, this cannot miss. We can almost taste those juicy flavors bursting in our mouths right now. (via Running to the Kitchen)
8. Sage Kale Pesto With Parmesan Roasted Acorn Squash: It’s not really fall until a plate of roasted squash shows up on the table. This dish amps things up by adding some nutty and herbaceous pesto to the mix. Needless to say, it’s a crowd pleaser. (via Food Faith Fitness)
9. Tandoori Roasted Spicy Sweet Potatoes: Does anyone even bother with regular ol’ spuds anymore? Sweet potatoes are clearly where it’s at. The seasoning blend in this one adds a nice level of spiciness to counter the tuberous root’s natural sweetness. Sweet potatoes forever, PLEASE and thank you! (via WhitBit’s Kitchen)
10. Roasted Fingerling Potatoes With Tarragon-Shallot Butter: Okay, so what we said about regular potatoes earlier? We take it back. These tender, colorful gems are fast, easy and fabulously flavorful. Done in less than 30 minutes, they pair wonderfully with roasted meat and seafood. Don’t you just *love* a flexible side dish? (via A Beautiful Plate)
11. Citrus and Honey Roasted Beets: Beet lovers, we’re not sure if you’re ready for this glorious concoction. Are you sitting down? Topped with creamy goat cheese, these rich and earthy beets are jazzed up with fresh citrus juice and raw honey. Did we mention the creamy goat cheese? Just making sure. (via Eat Your Beets)
12. Roasted Turnips With Brown Miso Butter: Nobody talks about turnips. That needs to change — and this dish is a great conversation starter. They’re smothered in brown miso butter, so you’re sure to get your umami fix with the salty and sweet flavors. (via Our Four Forks)
13. Roasted Aubergine and Yoghurt Sauce: Tender roasted eggplant topped off with creamy, tangy yoghurt and za’atar? Yes, please! These babies are a perfect year-round side with a ton of wow factor. Top with pomegranate seeds for a bright burst of color and flavor. (via My Kitchen Antics)
14. Roasted Beet, Peach and Crispy Chickpea Salad: If you feel like summer went too quickly, we hear you. Peaches being in season is always bittersweet; bitter because it’s summer’s end and sweet because they’re delicious. Savor the last days of the season with this awesome side — a blend of earthy beets and sweet peaches. (via Life Is but a Dish)
15. Crispy Lemon Herb Roasted Baby Artichokes: Food isn’t always cute, but when it is, it’s because it’s BABY ARTICHOKES. With vivid flavor and a crispy texture, these cuties are tossed in lemon juice and sprinkled with kosher salt. Evidently, they’re a perfect healthy snack or side. (via Running to the Kitchen)
Craving more delicious side dish inspo? Follow us on Pinterest for more.
- 15 No-Fuss Backyard BBQ Side Dish Recipes - Brit + Co ›
- 13 Easy Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes That'll Go Perfectly With ... ›
- 51 Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving Side Dishes for Every Feast ... ›
- 14 Flavorful Roasted Veggie Sides to Add to Sunday Night Dinner ... ›
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.