Meat Beware: These 15 Roasted Veggie Side Dish Recipes Will Steal the Spotlight
All summer long we’ve been munching on crisp spiralized salads and dipping our spoons into refreshing bowls of gazpacho in an effort to beat the dog days of summer. However, summer is going to come to a screeching halt before we know it. In no time, we’ll be throwing those big juicy winter roasts in the oven in order to kick off comfort food season with a hearty welcome. But truth be told, a roast isn’t a *roast with the most* unless it has a kick-butt veg side. Get ready to trade those grilled veggies for the roasted sort, because we’ve got 15 roasted vegetable sides that’ll knock your wooly socks off. And if you’re looking to keep things vegetarian, then just serve with poached eggs on top and you’re done!
1. Maple Roasted Dutch Carrots: The fact that carrots can improve your eyesight might be a myth; what isn’t a myth, however, is how crazy delicious roasted carrots can be. These gorgeous root veggies are tossed with maple syrup and balsamic for a deep, rich flavor perfect for fall meals. (via Cook Republic)
2. Rosemary and Balsamic Glazed Pumpkin: Pumpkin always turns up in food and flavoring come fall, but sometimes it’s nice to enjoy it in its truest form. Roasted with rosemary, this side dish is super fragrant and earthy. Forget those overly sweetened lattes; THIS is the pumpkin we crave. (via Whisk Affair)
3. Roasted Brussels Sprouts: People either love or hate Brussels sprouts — there is no in between. If you fall in the latter category, you’re doing it wrong. Brussels sprouts are dynamite when cooked properly, and this simply seasoned variation will prove it. (via The Blond Cook)
4. One-Pan Roasted Mushrooms: Roasted in a bright and buttery lemon sauce, these mushroom caps might have you skipping the main course. This is one of those sides that you need to make a lot of, because everyone will be asking for second helpings. (via Girl and the Kitchen)
5. Roasted Broccoli Salad With Pine Nuts, Raisins and Feta: Eat your trees! Roasted broccoli is a fave among many when it comes to sides, but this roasted broccoli gets a major upgrade with added nuttiness, sweetness and tang. (via Yummy Beet)
6. Char Siu Style Roasted Eggplant: The days of eggplant Parmesan being the only way to enjoy eggplant are gone. Inspired by the unmistakable flavor of Chinese roast pork, this healthier and lighter version will keep your taste buds happy and longing for more. (via Pickled Plum)
7. Roasted Stuffed Heirloom Tomatoes: This heirloom tomato side dish could also double as a centerpiece, don’t you think? Stuffed with cheese, crème fraîche and thyme, this cannot miss. We can almost taste those juicy flavors bursting in our mouths right now. (via Running to the Kitchen)
8. Sage Kale Pesto With Parmesan Roasted Acorn Squash: It’s not really fall until a plate of roasted squash shows up on the table. This dish amps things up by adding some nutty and herbaceous pesto to the mix. Needless to say, it’s a crowd pleaser. (via Food Faith Fitness)
9. Tandoori Roasted Spicy Sweet Potatoes: Does anyone even bother with regular ol’ spuds anymore? Sweet potatoes are clearly where it’s at. The seasoning blend in this one adds a nice level of spiciness to counter the tuberous root’s natural sweetness. Sweet potatoes forever, PLEASE and thank you! (via WhitBit’s Kitchen)
10. Roasted Fingerling Potatoes With Tarragon-Shallot Butter: Okay, so what we said about regular potatoes earlier? We take it back. These tender, colorful gems are fast, easy and fabulously flavorful. Done in less than 30 minutes, they pair wonderfully with roasted meat and seafood. Don’t you just *love* a flexible side dish? (via A Beautiful Plate)
11. Citrus and Honey Roasted Beets: Beet lovers, we’re not sure if you’re ready for this glorious concoction. Are you sitting down? Topped with creamy goat cheese, these rich and earthy beets are jazzed up with fresh citrus juice and raw honey. Did we mention the creamy goat cheese? Just making sure. (via Eat Your Beets)
12. Roasted Turnips With Brown Miso Butter: Nobody talks about turnips. That needs to change — and this dish is a great conversation starter. They’re smothered in brown miso butter, so you’re sure to get your umami fix with the salty and sweet flavors. (via Our Four Forks)
13. Roasted Aubergine and Yoghurt Sauce: Tender roasted eggplant topped off with creamy, tangy yoghurt and za’atar? Yes, please! These babies are a perfect year-round side with a ton of wow factor. Top with pomegranate seeds for a bright burst of color and flavor. (via My Kitchen Antics)
14. Roasted Beet, Peach and Crispy Chickpea Salad: If you feel like summer went too quickly, we hear you. Peaches being in season is always bittersweet; bitter because it’s summer’s end and sweet because they’re delicious. Savor the last days of the season with this awesome side — a blend of earthy beets and sweet peaches. (via Life Is but a Dish)
15. Crispy Lemon Herb Roasted Baby Artichokes: Food isn’t always cute, but when it is, it’s because it’s BABY ARTICHOKES. With vivid flavor and a crispy texture, these cuties are tossed in lemon juice and sprinkled with kosher salt. Evidently, they’re a perfect healthy snack or side. (via Running to the Kitchen)
Craving more delicious side dish inspo? Follow us on Pinterest for more.
- 15 No-Fuss Backyard BBQ Side Dish Recipes - Brit + Co ›
- 13 Easy Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes That'll Go Perfectly With ... ›
- 51 Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving Side Dishes for Every Feast ... ›
- 14 Flavorful Roasted Veggie Sides to Add to Sunday Night Dinner ... ›
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.