45 Superhero (and Villain) Costumes Fit for an Epic Halloween Night
Is it even Halloween without a next-level super sexy or super funny superhero costume? Yeah, we don’t think so. How can you even think of playing tricks or getting all the treats without sporting a classic superhero costume? Don’t forget — this was an awesome year for heroes and heroines from all of our fave comic books and movies. From Batman to Superman and everything in between, now is the time to unleash your inner crime-fighting alter ego. We fully expect to see a slew of Jokers like never before, along with tons of exciting newcomers, like our fave Harley Quinn. So whether you are a caped crusader or a vile villain, here are some epic costumes for your Halloween night.
1. Batman vs. Superman: Grab your bestie and reenact this duel of epic proportions on Halloween night. Brownie points if you can tell us who wins!
2. Batman: If you’re going to dress up as Gotham’s protector, this costume is the way to go. We are loving that mask!
3. Wonder Woman: Someone’s gotta rep DC Comics’ resident female superstar! Gotta love a one-and-done bodysuit as a costume.
4. DIY Harley Quinn: So maybe Harley Quinn isn’t exactly a superhero, but she comes close enough. This Suicide Squad costume will be huge this Halloween, so join in on the fun and DIY one of your own. (Photo via Brit + Co)
5. Harry Potter: It’s only a matter of time before everyone’s favorite fictional teen wizard joins the ranks of superhero super-stardom, right? We love how her chic short cut just works with this look. Classic! Stupefy!
6. Sylvanas: We don’t know much about this World of Warcraft vixen, but her costume is dope. We totally see why she is the dreamgirl of more than a few gamers out there!
7. Wolverine: Woah! You’d better be jacked if you want to pull this one off. The truly dedicated can style their hair like this guy, but you’d better start hitting the gym now!
8. Power Rangers: Truthfully, we’ve been dreaming of wearing the Pink Power Ranger’s costume for what feels like our whole lives. If you feel the same way, then make this the year to honor this ’90s classics.
9. Thor: We must admit, we’re impressed. But it’ll take some impressive brawn to lug that giant hammer around all night!
10. Batman Owning Superman: There’s def no mystery as to who won this epic duel between superheroes! Who knew this battle could take place on such a small scale?
11. Batman: This is one of the most impressive Batman costumes we’ve ever seen. Now let’s see if he nails Batman’s gravelly voice!
15. The Incredibles: This incredible costume is super easy to DIY or buy, whichever works for your budget and schedule. It’s perfect for the family or a group of friends. (Photo via Halloween Costume Ideas)
16. Guardians of the Galaxy: The breakout superhero epic of the year is definitely a fun dress-up choice. Keep a boom box and a sick ’80s mix close by to serve as your walk-in soundtrack. (Photo via Halloween Costume Ideas)
18. Hipster Disney Princesses. Grab your tightest jeans and biggest glasses and work on your snarkiest hipster drawl to perfect this smart and silly costume. We think one of them should wear a beanie! (Photo via Maison Mouse)
22. Adventure Time: The fun is never ending with this costume inspired by some of our favorite cartoon characters on late-night TV. Seriously, we love the idea of repping our fav Adventure Time characters! (Photo via Deviant Art)
23. Powerpuff Girls: Here’s another red, green and blue trio from your childhood to inspire your friends to throw it back this Halloween. Why not pay tribute to the original all-girl crime-fighting superhero trio? (Photo via Instructables)
27. Jax Teller: Channel your inner biker as the studly Sons of Anarchy star. This macho look might channel even more ladies than the chick magnet costume, especially if you go all out and rent a motorcycle for the evening. (Photo via Chris/Costume Works)
28. Hellgirl: Who knew a red face and some little horns could look so hardcore? Instead of going with the traditional sexy devil, go a little more gritty with a Hellgirl costume. (Photo via Lisette Mejia)
29. Captain America USO Girl: Yes, Captain America is a superhero. Does that mean you can’t be Captain American for Halloween? UM, NO! It’s 2015, people. You can be anything you put your mind to, including a Captain America superheroine. Gender shmender. Check out the above take for inspo. (Photo via Mey Lynn)
30. Black Widow: You probably know Black Widow as Natasha Romanoff (AKA Scarlett Johansson) from the recent Avengers movies. This costume is pretty easy and will be perfect for Halloween. Check out the awesome DIY recreation above for inspiration. (Photo via bargainbeautiful/Tumblr)
31. Catwoman: Catwoman (Selina Kyle) is well known for her love/hate relationship with Batman. For a Catwoman costume, a simple, all-black outfit with some ears (you can even paint your mask on) will get the point across just fine! (Photo via Sydne Style)
32. Lara Croft: While Lara Croft didn’t originate in comics, her Tomb Raider video game fame led to Hollywood movies and comic books. Bottom line: She’s still a freaking awesome superheroine, and her name carries just as much clout as the above DC/Marvel characters. Check out the awesome costume tutorial above. (Photo via Sara du Jour)
33. Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman is a DC Comics creation who stands for justice, truth and love and wields an arsenal of weapons, including a throwing tiara and indestructible bracelets. Because of all the pieces, this costume can be a bit more involved than others. The Dia de Los Muertos spin on this one is awesome.
34. Mystique: Mystique. The most awesome supervillain EVER. This shifting mutant from X-Men is mysterious, badass and beautifully blue. With a whole lotta blue body paint and some crazy contacts, this can be an easy two-step costume — but pants and a shirt are also probably good ideas! (Photo via Bazinga Cosplay/Deviant Art)
35. Storm: X-Men‘s weather-controlling Storm is one of the most prominent badass X-(wo)Men out there. She’s had some pretty sweet signature looks throughout the years. The above costume is more of a ’90s recreation rather than the all-black leather bodysuit Halle Berry rocked.
38. Captain America and Agent Carter: Grab a Captain America, or don’t — Miss Carter was pretty independent — and top off that bright blue suit with a red hat and an air of mystery. (Photo via PopSugar)
39. Ron Weasley: If you aren’t into wizards robes, try a comfy Weasley family sweater with an “R” across your chest instead. Bonus perk: You can totally rock it after Halloween season is complete. (Photo via Alicia Sivert)
40. Clark Kent Superman Men’s Costume ($37): eBay has quite a collection of Superman costumes, but this Clark-Kent-turning-into-Superman option is definitely our favorite. Just look at those abs! ;)
41. Wolverine Dog Costume ($14): I have to admit, I have a weakness for Wolverine. The original Wolverine — yellow suit, crazy cat-eye mask, blue accents. I promise — it’s not just Hugh Jackman’s portrayal of this mutant, self-healing animal man. Now, Wolverine as portrayed by a chihuahua? Speechless.
42. Superhero Women’s Tank Dresses ($16 each): If you’re not quite ready for the head-to-toe spandex look, you can always go for one of these superhero tank dresses. Pair your frock with one of our #LazyGirl Halloween Hair Hacks, and you’ll be ready to go in 15 minutes.
43. Retro Captain America Costume ($41): As you can see, we’ve got a thing for ‘40s-, ’50s- and ‘60s-style costumes. We’ve just never seen so many iterations of Batman, Captain America and Wonder Woman in one place!
44. Iron Man ($45): Now, if only you had time to build a custom robot computer system named Jarvis… And we can’t forget Pepper, either!
45. Poison Ivy: Usually an adversary to Batman, Poison Ivy is a DC Comics supervillain with toxic tendencies. She’s usually green, has bright red hair and is covered in poison ivy leaves. Some fake ivy leaves from your local Michaels and a red wig can create the costume in a much safer manner, though. (Photo via Sydne Style)
Have you repped Superhero style before? Show us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.