‘Tis the season to deck your halls with all manner of twinkling string lights. You can’t go wrong with a few strands wrapped around your tree and windows, but if you’re looking to switch things up this year, these unique lighting ideas will help you get “lit” in the most festive way possible. String lights are as versatile as they are festive, and there are endless ways to use them in every room of your house. Whether you’re looking to brighten up your space with a cheery marquee light, jazz up your mantel with terrariums full of fairy lights or spruce up your bar cart with a handful of glittering garlands, these 26 dreamy string light ideas will help you set the scene in no time.
1. Threshold Neon Christmas Tree Light ($30): Neon has been trending hard all year, so it only makes sense to bring a little shine to your mantel in Christmas tree form. Mix a few of these neon trees into your decor for a bright, contemporary addition that’ll totally rock.
2. DIY Festive Party Lights: String lights are awesome, but string lights with gold tassels and colorful honeycomb balls are even awesome-er. The best part is that you can play around with different color palettes to create the perfect backdrop for a photo booth or a holiday bar cart. (via Oh Joy!)
3. DIY Painted Christmas Lights: Grab a can of gold or copper spray paint and give those lights a glam makeover. Seal the deal by mixing in a variety of garlands to make your mantel extra special. (via A Beautiful Mess)
4. DIY Bar Light Sign: Show your guests where the party’s really at with this sparkly sign. This DIY is super impressive and super affordable: All you need are a few inexpensive materials, like wood and a strand of string lights. (via Brit + Co)
5. DIY Botanical String Lights: Because it’s all about those leaves, ’bout those leaves. Skip the traditional pine leaves and keep summer vibes alive and well with a strand of these pretty pink palm leaves draped over your bar cart instead. (via Oh Joy!)
6. Table Centerpiece: Candles are great, but a centerpiece made out of bright string lights will be the talk of the table. Plus, you don’t have to worry about burning your arms every time you pass the mashed potatoes. (via Rene Linjer)
7. DIY Copper Lighted Wreaths: Twinkle, twinkle, little wreaths. How cute are these copper accents? Pick up a few copper pieces at the hardware store and wrap them up with string lights for a chic and minimal piece of wall decor. You’ll have to get creative about where you hide the battery packs, but you can’t go wrong with a mini bucket or a forest of bottle brush trees. (via A Bubbly Life)
8. Urban Outfitters Copper Star String Lights ($28): The living room isn’t the only space that deserves a little sparkle. Light up your bedroom with some starry-inspired flair this holiday season. Drape a few strands across the headboard and you’re guaranteed some sweet dreams.
9. DIY Christmas Tree: Just because you’re going with a non-traditional wall tree doesn’t mean you have to give up the warm glow of Christmas lights, as you can see from this twinkling tree. You can even add some baubles: Just hang them on the string lights with little twisty ties. (via Martha Stewart)
10. Terrain Plein Air Display Hurricane ($108): Give those terrariums a holiday makeover with battery-powered LED lights and mini trees. They’re so pretty that you’ll want to keep them up all year round.
11. DIY Snow Lights: If you’re dreaming of a white Christmas this year, it’s time to pull out the scissors and get to work. Get the kiddos to help you cut out paper snowflakes for this easy DIY string light makeover. (via Brit + Co)
12. DIY Christmas Light Marquee Sign: The best way to make your holiday cheer known is to spell it out in bright lights and big glitter. The color scheme is up to you, but you can’t go wrong with gold and white. (via A Beautiful Mess)
13. Urban Outfitters Faceted Bulb String Lights ($38): String some lights over your bed for a special effect. It’ll look lovely and the warm glow can double as a soft reading light too.
14. DIY Light String Christmas Wreath: Set the scene with a bold wreath and a whole lotta string lights. The trick here is to use two or three different sizes of bulbs to give the wreath visual interest. (via A Bubbly Life)
15. DIY String Lights Garland: Craft a lovely leaf light garland that you’ll find yourself reusing over and over again. It makes a lovely mantle decoration, but you could also use it for parties and events. It’s not holiday specific, so there’s no judgment when you leave this decor up way past New Years. (via Homey Oh My)
16. DIY Fairy Light Jars: Who can’t use a little extra light and sparkle in their lives? DIY these fairy light jars to brighten up any room in your home. Finish the vignette with glittery pine cones, pine branches or mini gingerbread houses. (via Hometalk)
17. DIY String Light Christmas Tree: Here’s another great way to use natural elements in your wall tree design. This simple tree, using nothing more than a string of lights and a piece of plywood, will give your room all the glow factor with none of the tree mess. (via A Pair & A Spare)
18. DIY Holiday Vignettes: Wrap LED twinkle lights in a glass lantern or cloche to create a unique centerpiece for your table or mantel. Accessorize away with mini bottle brush trees, tiny village houses or that mini airstream advent calendar you just made. (via A Beautiful Mess)
19. DIY Christmas Shadow Box: Sometimes all you need is a box, a strand of LED lights, paper and a bit of faux snow to take your holiday decor to the next level. Whip up these miniature snowy scenes and set ’em up all over to turn your home into a winter wonderland. (via PopSugar)
20. Branch Chandelier: BRB, gotta go find some birch branches. Dress up the chandelier in your dining room with extra string lights, or DIY your own with branches, leaves or pine boughs. (via Poppytalk)
21. Urban Outfitters White Cord Globe String Lights ($28): These super elegant string lights have a white cord so they practically disappear into the walls, no matter where you hang them. So simple, so sweet.
22. DIY Custom Vintage Christmas Lights: Did you know you can paint lightbulbs to perfectly match your holiday decor? Once you’ve painted the bulbs your favorite shades of pastel or neon, hot glue them to a sparkly gold tinsel garland for a super pretty piece of decor. (via Sister’s Suitcase Blog)
23. DIY Constellation Wall Art: Star light, star bright, this is the star you need on your wall tonight. Take the string lights to your gallery wall by turning them into your personal zodiac constellation. The best part? You don’t have to take it down when the holidays are over. (via Brit + Co)
24. DIY Light Box Marquee: A glittery light box with a festive greeting can virtually replace a lamp. And it’s SO much more fun. If you love the idea of a marquee sign, but you don’t have the time or materials, this is a quick and easy alternative that looks just as awesome sitting on your mantel. (via A Beautiful Mess)
25. DIY 2D Tree: Christmas trees don’t have to be messy. One string of lights is all it takes to make this 2-D tree that takes up zero space. And when it comes time to take it down? It doesn’t get much easier than this. (via Brides)
26. Wondershop Wood Marquee Tree ($20): It doesn’t take much convincing to fall in love with these rustic mini marquee trees. Coordinate with red plaid stockings and a starry light garland and see how easy it is to put together the mantel of your dreams.
Ready to get lit? If you’re looking for more holiday decor ideas, follow us on Pinterest for even more tips, DIYs and inspiration.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.