Getting back into the school routine doesn’t have to mean returning to a breakfast rut. You’ve got your weeknight meal routine on lockdown and nobody can rival your portable lunches. Now it’s time to up your morning game. We’ve put together a list of our favorite breakfasts for every occasion and they’re sure to have everyone in the house hopping out of bed. Send the cold cereal and toaster pastries off with summer vacation and say hello to the new kids at (breakfast) school.
First Day of School
1. Overnight Cider Pumpkin Waffles: It doesn’t matter how old you are — nobody likes to see summer come to an end. Or winter vacation, spring break or even the weekend, for that matter. Those rough BTS days call for something special for kids and parents alike and we think these waffles with toasted pecan butter and apple cider syrup will do just the trick. Start them the night before for an easier morning routine. (via Half Baked Harvest)
The Go-To Daily Routine
2. Blueberry Breakfast Quinoa: Give yourself and your little ones a dose of goodness with blueberries. Animal research has shown that blueberries help with learning capacity, which is perfect for a long day of learning new things at school. The protein-rich quinoa will also provide a boost of energy. (via Damn Delicious)
Breakfast On The Go
3. Healthy Banoffee Parfaits With Date Caramel and Stovetop Granola: Let’s face it: Most mornings are a little, err, rushed. Between finding clean socks, packing lunches and searching for the bus fare, breakfast often falls by the wayside. You need a portable morning meal in your repertoire and we think this one is different and delicious. It’s a tasty spin on the typical parfait and the recipe also provides plenty of shortcuts, as well as tips for making ahead. (via Top With Cinnamon)
4. Smoked Salmon and Avocado Open-Faced Sandwich: Researchers believe that fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids can help with memory and brain function. Oily fish like herring and sardines provide these important nutrients, but some beautiful wild smoked salmon will probably be a bit easier to stomach first thing in the morning. Avocados are also credited with improving brain health, making this a particularly nutritious breakfast sammy for finals week. (via Once Upon A Cutting Board)
5. BLT Breakfast Salad With Soft-Boiled Eggs and Avocado: Salad for breakfast? Yes! Leafy greens have been credited with helping you focus, making them a choice superfood for stressful days of tests, meetings or presentations. Throw some bacon on there and there will be zero complaints. (via So… Let’s Hang Out)
The Big Game
6. Oatmeal Power Bowl: Big competition days require energy, and the kind that will last and last. Whole grains have a low glycemic index, which means they’ll fill you up without spiking your blood sugar. That means you (or your little athletes) won’t find yourself crashing later in the day. Toss nuts and seeds over the top for a dose of fiber and healthy fats, which are also great for keeping you fuller longer. (via Oh She Glows)
Do your kids have a favorite BTS breakfast? We’d love to hear about it! Share with us in the comments, below.