10 Acorn Squash Recipes to Make You Forget About Pumpkin
No question, pumpkin is great and all, but as the popular kid in the winter squash family it often overshadows its equally worthy relatives. We’re totally smitten with acorn squash. With its deep green skin punctuated by the occasional bright orange patch, it works just as well as an autumnal accent for the home as it does on your dinner plate. These 10 recipes focus on the latter half of the equation, the yummy one, with ideas for breakfast, lunch and beyond.
1. Chipotle Chicken Stuffed Brown Sugar Roasted Acorn Squash: Brown butter bread crumbs are the finishing touch sprinkled atop these cheese, couscous, chicken and veggie-stuffed squash halves. (via Half Baked Harvest)
2. Streuseled Acorn Squash Muffins: With a nice crumble of cinnamon and nutmeg on top, the acorn squash packed into the cake-y muffins underneath it all will almost escape notice. (via Pretty Plain Janes)
4. Black and Orange Forbidden Rice With Acorn Squash and Pecans: Talk about a fantastic side dish for a Halloween-themed meal — the colors are spot on! (via A Spicy Perspective)
5. Acorn Alfredo Penne Pasta (Vegan): Silky pureed acorn squash gives this vegan sauce a fantastic luxurious feel, similar to the usual heavy cream-laden Alfredo. Partnered with roasted garlic, mushrooms and cheesy-tasting nutritional yeast, this dish packs a ton of flavor, in a healthier pasta package. (via Healthy. Happy. Life.)
7. Charred Fall Veggie Tacos (Gluten-Free, Vegetarian): You’re fewer than 30 minutes and 12 ingredients away from enjoying these super healthy, yet flavorful taqueria-worthy tacos at home. (via A Sage Amalgam)
8. Pistachio-Cilantro Pesto: This ain’t any ordinary pesto. Cilantro, pistachios and a hint of habanero create an irresistibly creamy, spicy blend that works wonders tossed with roasted acorn squash, cauliflower and pasta. (via Super Nummy)
10. Acorn Squash and Sweet Potato Soup: The thoughtful addition of crisp green apples lends a subtle tartness to this creamy fall soup, while a pumpkin seed and crouton garnish keep us coming back for spoonful after spoonful with their awesome texture. (via The Blonde Chef)
Do you love acorn squash like we do? Any favorite ways to use ’em? Let’s chat in the comments!