12 Self-Improvement Books You Should Read Based on Your Horoscope
Holiday parties are over, and it’s time to get serious about starting the New Year off right. It can be tough to break those pesky bad habits and, as Caitlyn Jenner eloquently phrases it, “become your authentic self,” but there’s no time like the beginning of the year to get started. Whether your goal is to rock the business world or schedule some you-time on the regular, everyone could use a little help kickstarting New Year’s resolutions into action. Here to help are 12 newly released self-improvement books, categorized by each horoscope sign, to steer you towards success this New Year!
1. It’s Your World: Get Informed, Get Inspired & Get Going! by Chelsea Clinton ($11): Hilary’s daughter is following in her mother’s (and father’s) footsteps in this mega-informed non-fiction book that details the many challenges facing the world today. Combining facts, charts, photographs and stories, Clinton hits on Aries’ optimistic and courageous personality in this New York Times bestseller.
2. Strong Looks Better Naked by Khloe Kardashian ($16): Taurus is the sign of perseverance — something Khloe Kardashian knows well. In her much anticipated new book, Khloe writes of her own struggles with body image and relationships, making it clear that she’s stronger and more determined than ever before.
3. Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling ($15): Comedic queen and all-around #EveryGirl Mindy Kaling is back in the author seat with this new collection of essays sure to get every fast-talking Gemini buzzing. Whether it’s juicy gossip about meeting Bradley Cooper or heartfelt thoughts of a woman at a turning point in their life and career, this book has all the inspo you need to start the New Year right.
4. Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin ($12): If you’re a Cancer, odds are you’ve set 10+ New Year’s resolutions for yourself and have a couple in mind for when you’ve completed those. Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project, tries to break almost every bad habit you can think of (and documents it!) in this new blockbuster hit.
5. Wake Up Happy: The Dream Big, Win Big Guide to Transforming Your Life by Michael Strahan and Veronica Chambers ($18): Leos are loud, proud and in charge — just like ex-NFL player turned fan-fave talk show host Michael Strahan. In this candid memoir, follow Strahan as he recounts stories of childhood, the NFL and beyond. And don’t forget to bookmark “Strahan’s Rules” for future perusal!
6. The Brain Fog Fix: Reclaim Your Focus, Memory, and Joy in Just Three Weeks by Dr. Mike Dow ($12): Virgos thrive on using their intellect and analytical mind. Shake off the end-of-year haze with Dr. Mike Dow’s three-week brain-clearing program designed to restore three of your brain’s most crucial chemicals: serotonin, dopamine and cortisol. The exercises are simple and will boost your memory and concentration within days.
7. Spark Joy: A Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondo ($13): Legendary tidy-upper Marie Kondo is taking her acclaimed Japanese decluttering KonMari method to the page in this new illustrated guide to mass organization. Satisfy Libra’s need for balance with this ultra-helpful guide to simplifying life.
8. The Art of Asking: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help by Amanda Palmer ($14): When musician Amanda Palmer’s TED Talk went viral, the world (including stubborn Scorpios) began to realize the importance of asking for help. Now she’s elaborating on that very topic and offering her own narrative as a lens to witness the power of asking for help.
9. Yes Please by Amy Poehler ($10): Legendary SNL comedian Amy Poehler (and honorary Sagittarius) shares life lessons the best way she knows how: through comedy. This book includes chapters like “Treat Your Career like a Bad Boyfriend,” “Plain Girl Versus the Demon” and “The Robots Will Kill Us All.”
10. The Leap: Launching Your Full-Time Career in Our Part-Time Economy by Robert Dickie ($17): Capricorns are all about getting ahead at work this New Year, but how exactly are you supposed to do that it in a world of part-time gigs? Robert Dickie, President of Crown, is here to help with career-altering tips on how to brand yourself, avoid anchors and create multiple income streams.
11. My Boyfriend Barfed in My Handbag… and Other Things You Can’t Ask Martha by Jolie Kerr ($12): Hilarious Tina Fey-esque comedian Jolie Kerr, author of the hit column “Ask a Clean Person,” is at her spot-removal antics again in this New York Times bestseller. With just about every situation covered (from bong juice to pee stains), Kerr understands that modern Aquarius women can find themselves in some messy situations!
12. The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You by Jessica Alba ($14): Although Jessica Alba was born one month shy of being a true Pisces, she’s definitely one to us. Following her journey to find safe and healthy products for her growing family, this memoir recounts Alba’s personal story and offers amazing tips to find the natural life at home.
What are you reading in the New Year? Tweet us at @BritandCo!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)