15 Products to Help You Go Shampoo-Free
Admit it: fully washing your hair can be such a hassle. When you’re a busy gal rushing out the door each morning, you just don’t have the time (or don’t want to spend the time) doing a full shampoo and condition every day. While we’re big fans of styling second day hair and concealing dirty locks with fun hair accessories, some ladies are opting to ditch shampoo completely. This no-poo method is all about cleansing hair with products other than traditional shampoos, which often contain harmful chemicals. Whether you’re looking to go full out no-poo and kick shampoo altogether, or maybe just “low-poo” and stretch the number of days between washes, give these options a try.
1. DIY Dry Shampoo: There’s nothing we love more for sprucing up second-day hair than a great dry shampoo. DIY these all natural recipes for light and dark hair using things you probably already have in your kitchen. (via Brit + Co)
2. Baking Soda + Apple Cider Vinegar: If you’re familiar with the no-poo method, then you’ve probably heard of this classic alternative. The baking soda cleans your hair without stripping it of its natural oils, like a traditional shampoo would. The apple cider vinegar acts as a conditioner to rinse, clarify and soften hair. (via Byrdie)
3. Purely Perfect Cleansing Creme ($40): Though the price may be a little steep, this product is well worth the extra cash. This cleanser is made with aloe vera and essential oils to help restore your hair and keep it smooth, shiny and silky.
4. Cold Water Rinse: This trick is literally as easy as switching your shower from hot to cold. After washing your hair as usual, run it under lukewarm or cold water. This helps to remove leftover grime from your shampoo and conditioner, and will help keep your hair looking cleaner longer. (via PopSugar Beauty)
5. Shea Moisture Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser ($13): Co-washing is simply skipping the shampoo and just washing with conditioner. Sounds crazy, right? But it works, and this cleanser can help. It’s made with natural and organic ingredients to hydrate and protect your hair.
6. Pumpkin + Honey Hair Mask: Perfect for fall, this natural hair mask has tons of amazing benefits. Pumpkins are loaded with vitamins, while honey is a humectant. Apply the mixture to your scalp and leave for 15 minutes before rinsing. (via Hello Natural)
7. Head Scarf: This look is totally cute and perfect if you’re trying to get just one more day out of your unwashed strands. A scarf will camouflage the oily roots and nobody ever has to know. (via Wonder Forest)
8. Bioderma Node Non-Detergent Fluid Shampoo ($30): If you’re not ready to take the plunge into the no-poo method just yet, give this shampoo a try. It cleanses your hair without all the nasty stripping detergents found in regular shampoos.
9. Homemade Honey Shampoo: All you need to whip up this hair wash is raw honey and water. This formula will reduce frizz, fight dandruff and help you go longer between washes. And bonus: you may be able to ditch the conditioner altogether. (via Petite Kitchen)
10. Baby Powder Hack: Our very own Kate Puhala swears by this dry shampoo hack. Baby powder works wonders for absorbing oil and grease from second-day hair, and it even gives your tresses extra volume and bounce. Bonus tip: apply baby powder to roots the night before, rather than the morning of, for best effects. (via Brit + Co)
11. DevaCurl No-Poo ($20): Attention curly haired girls: this poo replacement and cleanser is just for you. It’s made with hops, wheat and grapeseed oil that help clean your scalp for healthy, bouncy curls.
12. Yogurt + Lemon Juice + Egg Hair Mask: It may seem scary combining these ingredients and putting them on your head, but trust us. This protein-packed mask is super nourishing and helps strengthen your strands. (via Whole Living)
13. TRESemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo + Waterless Foam Shampoo ($7 each): If DIY-ing or hacking dry shampoo isn’t your style, go store bought with these great options. Both absorb unwanted oil and give hair a fresh look on it’s second day (or third…).
14. Head Scarf Roll: Conceal your unwashed locks in style. Simply tie on a head scarf to hide any greasy roots, then roll and tuck your hair for an easy updo fit for any occasion. (via The Freckled Fox)
15. Castile Soap + Olive Oil + Honey Shampoo: These ingredients are a perfect formula for keeping hair cleansed without the unnecessary chemicals found in conventional formulas. Just shampoo and rinse as usual. (via Pretty Smart Girl)
What products and tricks do you use to go shampoo-free? How do you make your hair last longer between washes? Talk to us in the comments!