Buh-Bye, Febreze: 12 All-Natural Home Scents You Can DIY
If the term “air freshener” makes you think of those little cardboard pine trees you hang in your car, grandma’s scented-candle collection or your middle-school Bath + Body Works addiction (Juniper Breeze FTW), think again. Thanks to ingredients like essential oils, baking soda, herbs, spices and flowers, you can file natural-smelling air fresheners under “totally DIYable,” right along with perfumes, lotions and bath salts. Here are 12 of our favorite ways to make your home smell amazing, and like things that are actually found in nature.
1. Five-Minute DIY Reed Diffuser: You can buy a reed diffusers for way too much money, or give your wallet and your nostrils a break with this cheap and easy, naturally scented homemade version. A thrifted vase and washi tape will make it fit right in with your decor. (via Sugar + Cloth)
3. DIY Linen Spray With Essential Oils: Never Febreze your bed linens again! Reuse a pretty spray bottle and fill it with water, booze and essential oils (lavender is especially dreamy) to make your bed conducive to sweet slumber. (via Radical Possibility)
4. DIY Potpourri With Dried Flowers: Potpourri isn’t just a category on Jeopardy. This mixture of colorful rocks, essential oils and dried flowers is a major aesthetic upgrade from the ’80s living-room trend (which was probably made with synthetic fragrances, BTW). (via Free People)
5. Simmer Pot Scents: You know that wonderful fall scent that fills the house when there’s mulled cider on the stove? Recreate that with an easy simmer pot. Switch up the citrus, herbs and spices to give it a more seasonally appropriate flair — try grapefruit and rosemary in the spring, or lemon and rose petals in the summer. (via This Homemade Life)
8. Hanging Air Fresheners: Cookie-like hanging ornaments can be infused with comforting scents like cinnamon, or you can even whip up a cute terra cotta version that can be turned into a fridge magnet or car air freshener. (via Completely Delicious)
9. Lavender Linen Water: Here’s another easy mixture to spritz on your sheets after they’re laundered. For extra fresh clothes, use it as an ironing spray or put a little into the washer during a rinse cycle. (via One Good Thing by Jillee)
10. Homemade Baking Soda Air Freshener: Baking soda is notorious for absorbing odors. Here, it gets a living-room-ready upgrade with essential oils, spray paint, patterned paper and a mini Mason jar. (via Tidy Mom)
12. DIY Gel Air Freshener: Grab some gelatin, essential oils and food coloring, and you will be absolutely ready for this scented jelly. Mix and match the food coloring to make a rainbow of hues — Pantone-inspired, perhaps? (via Hello Natural)
Have you DIYed any of your own air fresheners? What are your fave scents? Let us know in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)