The humble oat is an oft-forgotten grain that is usually overlooked for the uber-trendy quinoa or the everyday staple rice. But oatmeal is a superfood that deserves a little more attention — it’s full of fiber, protein and essential nutrients. To celebrate National Oatmeal Day, we’re here to take your plain old bowl of oats to the next level. From oatmeal-filled brownies to savory grain bowls to cookies packed with everything but the kitchen sink, these Quaker-iffic eats will have you happy and full for hours.
3. Banana Oatmeal Brûlée: Good enough for dessert, this oatmeal is creamy with a crunchy-sugary top. You can even make it ahead of time for an indulgent but healthy breakfast all week long. (via 24 Carrot Life)
4. “Bacon” ‘n’ Eggs Oatmeal: Topped with poached egg and crispy chicken skin brushed with sorghum and sea salt, this non-traditional bacon tastes *almost* better than the real thing. Rest assured, this recipe is easier than it sounds! (via I Will Not Eat Oysters)
5. Carrot Cake Oatmeal: Breakfast is something worth making the effort for, especially when it looks like this. This warm, satisfying and delicious oatmeal will give you the fuel and energy to start your day off right. (via Goodness is Gorgeous)
9. No-Bake Fruit and Yogurt Crumble Pies: There’s no need to turn on the oven with this effortless dessert. It’s full of nutrients and ingredients you probably already have at home. (via Runnin Sri Lankan)
10. Cajun Spiced Chicken Cutlet: Chicken and oats are way beyond basic with this healthier take on spicy fried chicken. You definitely won’t be disappointed at dinnertime with this crunchy dish. (via Flavor Quotient)
11. Gingerbread Oatmeal: Move over, pumpkin spice. It’s almost time for the spicy sweetness of gingerbread. Grab an extra gingerbread cookie on the go for an extra special breakfast. (via Breakfast Drama Queen)
14. Chinese Oatmeal: Put down the takeout menu and try this fun DIY version of your normal noodle-based stir-fry. Rolled oats take the place of rice and you’ll never know the difference. (via Kiip Fit)
18. Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies: Have a little of this and a little of that left over in your pantry? Use it all up with these cookies that are sure to become your new favorite dessert. (via Brit + Co)
19. Roasted Broccoli Cheddar Quiche With an Oatmeal Crust: The oatmeal crust here gives a sweet, slightly nutty flavor that complements and adds a hearty bite to the eggs. Enjoy this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. (via Sifted Not Stirred)
What is your favorite way to eat oatmeal? Leave us your favorite recipe below in the comments!