18 Road Trip Snacks for Mini Vacay Munching
Vacations this summer are sticking close to the comfort of home and car. If your vacation spot is a few hours' drive away or even if you're just heading to the park for some fresh air, snacks to keep you full are a must to ward off those pesky hangry spells. As difficult as it is to learn how to stay healthy on vacation, a large part of it is making sure that you don't let yourself get too hungry. This means no unnecessary fast food stops or binging on the first thing you see. Brush up on your emergency travel tips and get the car games ready, because these 18 road trip snacks will make you want to keep on cruising.
1. Banana Split Swirl Energy Bites: When you’re craving something sweet but you also want to be left feeling completely satisfied, these energy balls will give you life. They’re packed with cashews, dates and dried fruit, so they’ll keep you full for hours. (via Destination Delish)
2. Three Seed Brittle: If you're planning on being really active on your vacay, this brittle is the perfect thing to pack. Stuff some in your backpack or beach bag for that extra-long hiking trip. (via Suzanne McCarthy Photography)
3. Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels: These pretzels are so easy to pull together, and they’re simply irresistible. Whether you have a car full of adults or screaming children, they will all equally love this snack. (via Pumpkin ‘n’ Spice)
5. Homemade Fruit Leather: This fruit leather may not have a tongue tattoo on it (#tbt?), but it’s free of nasty additives and it’s completely paleo. If the health benefits aren’t enough to sway you, the amazing flavor should be. (via The Wicked Spatula)
6. MYO Cheez-Itz: There's no better snack than the amazing Cheez-It, which you can make yourself in under an hour! With flavors like gruyere + black pepper, classic cheddar, and mozzarella + basil, just be sure not to finish the whole bag before you even get in the car! (via Brit + Co)
7. Cheesy Vegan Kale Chips: Have you ever noticed that kale chips are crazy expensive? It’s kale, for heaven’s sake! Make your own for way cheaper and with any flavoring you like. This recipe uses nutritional yeast for a cheesy taste that’s actually vegan. (via To Live and Diet in L.A.)
10. Roasted Honey Dijon Pecans: Nuts are a sure-fire way to ensure your energy levels stay at their peak. If you're on driving duty and the rest of the car is sleeping, nosh on these and you'll get your second wind in no time. (via Pure and Simple Nourishment)
11. Pantry Popcorn Mix: Let’s just say whoever gets to sit in the backseat with a bowl of this popcorn mix and a movie is one lucky passenger. You may want to call dibs on this one. (via The Baker Mama)
12. Chocolate Funfetti Puppy Chow: Satisfy your sweet tooth and then some with this classic sugary treat. Make sure you bring wet wipes with you, because your fingers will definitely be covered in a lickable chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar coating. (via Natural Comfort Kitchen)
13. Quick and Easy Popcorn Balls: With help from caramel, apricots, peanut butter and chocolate chips, you can whip up a batch of yummy popcorn balls for a road trip or trip to the park. (via Brit + Co)
14. Sage and Fontina Crackers: Whatever you do, make sure you prepare plenty of these crackers, because they’re totally addictive. Feel free to switch up the cheese and herbs between batches to try different flavor combos. (via Bourbon and Honey)
15. Strawberry Lover’s Snack Mix: Chocolate-covered strawberries, freeze-dried strawberries and pretzels dipped in strawberry-flavored chocolate sweeten up this delicious snack mix. Try portioning out individual bags so no one fights over it ;) (via The Pink Wings)
16. Sweet and Sea Salty Chocolate Cashews: It’s so easy to make your favorite gourmet chocolate-covered nuts at home. These are topped with flakey sea salt and turbinado sugar for that drool-worthy sweet/salty contrast. (via Flavour and Savour)
17. Sweet and Salty Energy Bites: Speaking of sweet and salty, this granola bliss ball and energy bite hybrid is a total crowd pleaser. They’ve got a basic no-fuss flavor, and you don’t even have to turn your oven on in the process, which is a plus during hot weather. (via Gimme Some Oven)
18. Protein Lover's Trail Mix: Nuts, seeds and chocolate are all great, but when you're needing that extra bit of protein, adding beef jerky to your trail mix is the way to go. Round it out with almonds and peanut butter pretzels and you'll feel like Popeye. (via The Big Man's World)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
This article has been updated from a previous post.