11 Ways to Ditch Your Split Ends
Are you struggling to manage those unruly split ends of yours? During the cooler months, your hair can become *super* dry and brittle, and that means oodles of breakage. Nobody wants that! That’s where we come in. Scroll through to see our top 11 tips for splitting up with your split ends for GOOD!
1. Go Sulfate Free: Let’s start with the basics. Using chemical-laden products can leave your hair feeling dry and drab. So, swap it out for something that’s a little less harsh. On your next trip to Sephora, pick up a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner like Bumble and Bumble’s Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil ($30 each).
2. Brushes Are a No-No: Your hair is most fragile when it’s wet, and detangling with a brush can be extremely harmful to those lovely locks of yours. Toss your fave paddle brush and pick up wide tooth comb ($4) that’s much more gentle on wet hair.
3. But if You Must: If you have unruly hair, you probably thought we were crazy when we told you to use a wide tooth comb. So, if you *must* use a brush, the Tangle Teezer ($19) is a great option. The plastic bristles run through your hair with no pain!
4. Use a Blow Dry Lotion: Now that you’re out of the shower, it’s dry-time… but not before you add your blow dry lotion! Redken Satinwear 02 lotion ($19) leaves your hair feeling silky smooth AND is specifically formulated to fight your damaging dryer.
5. Protect from Heat: We know, we know. Heat styling is sometimes an absolute must. And on those days, be sure to protect your hair from that straightener or curling iron of yours with a heat protectant. TRESemmé’s heat tamer spray ($5) is an amazing (and affordable!) drugstore find at just a few dollars. Holla!
6. Spritz a Leave-in Conditioner: Sometimes, split ends come from not keeping your hair at max-hydration. Enter the leave-in conditioner. This Chi leave-in conditioner ($15) will not only tame your frizz, but the keratin will help strengthen your strands… aka no split ends!
7. Hair Masks Are a Must: Sometimes, keeping your split ends to a minimum is all about maintaining. Your normal light-weight conditioner just won’t cut it when your hair is in need of a little extra TLC. To answer your hair’s every beck and call, use a deep conditioner mask ($16) for the moisture it wants.
8. Go Longer Between Washes: One of the biggest reasons why people have split ends is because they heat style their hair on the reg (guilty!). Go longer between washes and stylings with a dry shampoo. The baby powder-like consistency of Lush’s No Drought ($14) soaks up every trace of oil around so you don’t have to do your ‘do everyday.
9. Take a Supplement: After you’ve used every product under the sun and your hair’s ends are STILL strugglin’, try taking a daily tablet of biotin ($5). Not only can you say hello to clearer skin and longer nails, but it also strengthens your hair. Sign us up!
10. Get Your DIY on: DIY masks are always a good option when you feel like your hair isn’t at its best. To tame split ends, use avocado and banana in your mixture. It’s the perfect strengthening combo! (via Bldg 25 Blog)
What are your tricks to keeping your split ends at a minimum? Tell us in the comments below!