10 Hot Kickstarter Projects We Couldn’t Let You Miss
If you’re one of the lucky ones, summertime means much more sunshine and much less perusing the web. But, while you’re blissed out with summer parties and fruity cocktails, the wheels of innovation will continue to turn. And we’re here to catch you up. Here are 10 recent Kickstarter projects that we wouldn’t want you to miss — and if you did, we have updates on how to pre-order the funded project. Come fall, these may be the hottest products on the market! Or a memory that we’re all glad to share… your funding might just draw the line.
1. Earin: Tired of spending the first five minutes of every workout untangling your headphones? How about the dreaded headphone and key tangle often found at the bottom of your overcrowded purse? Earin wants to fix that by offering the smallest earbud on the market. Not only is the design spectacular, but the Bluetooth audio makes them stand out, as well. Bonus: Backers get a discount off their first order!
2. CA7CH Lightbox: This recently funded project is set to give GoPro a run for its… content. The CA7CH Lightbox is a hands-free camera and video recorder designed for use with your smartphone. With a purpose centered on spontaneity and ease of use, it is now the world’s smallest live-streaming wearable. You can now preorder on their website if you didn’t make the list of backers in time.
3. Craft Your Own Bitters Kit: There’s no passing up a DIY Kickstarter. Tell your deskmate to pinch you now. This handsome craft kit includes everything you need (yes, even instructions) to make bitters for yourself and your guests. Described by the Hella Bitters crew as “salt and pepper” for your drinks, this is a sign to start inviting your friends to your next cocktail party now.
4. Hey Joe Coffee Mug: Fresh on the market and fresh in your cup, the one-cup brewing trend took off with the introduction of Keurig and the like, but you’ve never seen it like this. The Hey Joe mug brews your grounds on the go. You can regulate the brewing temperature, or warm up an old brew, so that it’s always ready to sip. Backers are being rewarded with fresh grounds, so you could say we’re in.
5. Edyn: Remember when we introduced you to Edyn, the connected garden, last month? Great news! The project has been successfully funded, and you can now preorder Edyn on their website. This smart garden system balances your garden’s condition by tracking changes in the environment and responding appropriately. Black thumb, you’ve met your match.
6. Leonard + Church: Born as an answer to the bloated luxury timepiece market, Leonard + Church hope to offer you a new way to buy a luxury watch. Simply put, some accessories are investments. However, market inflation put quality watches out of reach for many of us, which Leonard + Church credit to middle men and retail markups. This Kickstarter has big plans in store to redesign the process and the product. And by the looks of their prototypes, a Leonard + Church watch is likely to make our wish list soon.
7. Bellingcat: Calling all Zoe Barnes wannabes! Your ears should now be perking up. Bellingcat, a response to the ever-growing trend of citizen journalism, aims to level the journalistic playing field. Sure to stir up some controversy, this project will transform the marketplace of information into a horizontal and digital platform. This is certainly one to watch.
8. Wish I Was Here: Yes… the movie! DYK the whole project started on Kickstarter? Yeah, Zach Braff’s followup to Garden State is now in theaters. Braff, who has backed several Kickstarter projects on his own time, took to the crowdfunding platform in order to protect his creative license over this project. He raised over $3M to fund the film. *Opens Fandango app.*
9. Khink: Leggings for Change: There are two types of people in this world: People who believe leggings are pants, and those who do not. Whichever side you choose, these leggings are fighting a battle even bigger than that. Khink wants to bring you leggings out of Madrid, Spain that are a collaboration of locally sourced art and textile. Introducing themselves as a social enterprise, Khink plans to reinvest profits into worthy causes such as female empowerment, pit bull protection and more. Pick and choose your battles by backing their campaign, and you’ll even claim a reward.
10. Violet: Optimize Your Sun Experience: Like most things in life, sun exposure requires balance. We keep you up-to-date with chic sun protection hacks, but how about maintaining healthy exposure? After all, a few rays do boast health benefits, the most popular of which being vitamin D absorption. This new wearable tech by Violet will monitor your exposure and report back to you based on your personal skin type and sun tolerance.
Hip on a hot Kickstarter that didn’t make this month’s cut? Fill us in below.
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.