17 Ways You Can Swap Out Your LBD for a Winter LWD
Just like its color counterpart, a little white dress looks great on all skin tones and body types in the right shade and silhouette. We’ve spotted the winter white trend on Taylor Swift and Queen Bey and completely nixed the whole “no white after Labor Day” rule. (Pssh, what fashion rules?) If you’re ready to jump on the other side of the color spectrum for this year’s holiday festivities, we found 17 flawless frocks that will warm you up to the idea of trading in your LBD for a LWD this winter. Party on!
1. Little White Lies Lace Shift Dress ($180): While there won’t be much (if any) snow falling in our neck of the woods, the delicate sheer sleeves of this snowy white collared dress still give us the shaken-snowglobe effect. Paired with burgundy booties and a sleek mane, this look transitions seamlessly from day to night.
2. Clove Sequin Shift Dress ($118): Sequins. Stripes. Snowy white. What more can you ask for in a wintry party dress?
3. ASOS CURVE Exclusive Textured Mono Dress With Asymmetric Hem ($60): This minimalist dress means business, people. While it isn’t completely white, we still love the embellished waist and asymmetrical hemline to add a bit of visual interest.
4. Self Portrait White Reflections Midi Dress ($464): From the deep part, sleek waves and crop top/midi skirt combo, we feel like this is a look we’ve seen (and double tapped) on Jessica Alba. The mesh panel accented with chevron arrows and a crisp collar — all of these design details come together for a #winning look.
5. ASOS Midi Dress in Knit With Sheer Overlay ($85): Here’s one you won’t need to pair with tights. Let your curves do all the talking in this midi dress and add some sparkle with a pair of statement earrings.
6. River Island Pleat Front Shift Dress ($91): This sleek shift takes a cue from Kate Middleton’s signature silhouette, and we love a dress with pockets. Layer on a couple of thin bangles or midi rings to complete the look.
7. Patterned Lace Shift Dress ($25): We’ve yet to meet a geometric pattern we didn’t like. This long-sleeved lacy number is the right amount of boho glam.
8. Cut Out One Sleeve in Texture Dress ($66): Show up in this stunning one-shoulder dress and get ready for all the compliments to come your way. Seriously, this one’s a head-turner.
9. ASOS Picnic Skater Dress ($85): The pleated skirt on this skater dress is meant for dancing and twirling.
10. River Island Peplum Scuba Dress ($72): It’s not a party until you pop out the peplum. Throw in a ruffle cascade with a scalloped hem, and it’s going to be a night to remember. You’ll want to show these details off, so an updo works best with this dress.
11. American Rag Plus Size Cap-Sleeve Metallic A-Line Dress ($55): Get gorgeous with this ultra-flattering silhouette. Think about how lovely this would look peeking out from under a bold winter statement coat.
12. Eliza J Embroidered Sequin Midi Dress ($178): Okay, the sequin embroidery on this shift dress is stun-ning. If you’re looking for a picture perfect number to wear for your winter engagement photo sesh, this one’s it.
13. TNFC Lola Sequin Skirt Dress ($53): You guys, the search is over! We found the ultimate NYE party dress. (This sequin skirt reminds us of The Rainbow Fish’s gorgeous scales.)
14. Modamix Plus Size Sequined Sheath Dress ($170): With this dress on, good times are bound to happen. Even if you don’t plan them, it’s like the universe knows you’re ready to let your hair down and shake it off.
15. Rhinestone & Sequins Dress ($50): We love watching Christmas light displays, and with this dress on, you’ll be a walking strand of icicle lights. Throw on a pair of tights to keep warm.
17. Byron Lars Carissima Sheath ($258): Whether you’ve got a fancy pants dinner party coming up or you want to impress your SO’s parents this holiday, this sheer panel dress is classy and sassy.
Will you rock a LWD to one of your holiday soirees? Tell us which one is your fave in the comments.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.