20 Sweet (and Healthy!) Butternut Squash Dessert Recipes
We wanted to be sure to make the most of the best season for baking, so we did some more important squash research. And since we fell in love with the butternut squash recipes we found for our savory roundup, we decided that we definitely couldn’t skip out on dessert. While these recipes insert butternut squash into some pretty classic desserts (like ice cream and donuts), most of the finished products are pretty healthy thanks to their main ingredient being one of our favorite fall fruits.
1. Healthiest Ice Cream Ever: This paleo ice cream recipe is designed to eat while on a sugar detox. Supposedly it’s still irresistible — give it a try and see if your normal diet could use a boost. (via Paleo Parents)
5. Butternut Squash, Apple + Pear Crisp: Mmm, crisps made of fresh, seasonal fruits like apples or peaches are probably the best part about each season. Have you ever tasted ones made of butternut squash? (via Edible Perspective)
7. Spiced Mini Bundt Cakes: We went crazy for apple bourbon bundt cake, so we obviously can’t wait to make these minis. Oh, and they have maple toasted nuts on top with melted apple caramel candies. Yum! (via Hippopotomousse)
9. Butternut Squash With Saffron + Granola: Though this recipe calls for soaking the squash in sugar to make its natural flavor a little sweeter, the pecans and granola are still decently healthy ingredients. (via Dining With Dusty)
10. Butternut Squash Waffles: Unlike some other takes on sweets, this won’t be too sugary for breakfast. The butternut adds a perfect hint of fall flavor that will help you start your day with a smile. (via 17 Apart)
12. Quinoa + Squash Brownies: Like our favorite ‘I can’t believe these are healthy brownies’ made from zucchini, there’s now another healthy, faux-chocolate variety to try — this time made of quinoa and butternut squash. (via Nosh and Nourish)
14. Whole Wheat Butternut Squash, Apple + Hazelnut Muffins: Talk about waking up to something gorgeous! We just want to grab our slippers, coffee and one of these and pretend it’s morning forever. (via Coffee + Quinoa)
What are some other desserts that can be made healthier by using butternut squash? Share some ideas with us in the comments below!