17 Meals to Warm You Up on Cold Winter Nights
Okay, so the worst has happened: It’s cold outside, AND you’re hungry. You love a good turkey sandwich as much as the next person, but you’re kind of over the endless leftovers and craving something warm and comforting. Before you dive into the Christmas cookies, get some new flavors into that meal rotation and check out one of these mouth-watering meals. Whether you’re interested in a little post-Turkey Day clean eating, meal planning for a house full of guests or simply looking for new recipe inspiration, this guide is your answer to cozy winter dinners.
1. Rainbow Vegetarian Pad Thai With Peanuts and Basil: Spicy Asian dishes are a delicious contrast to turkey and gravy. This classic takeout favorite gets a healthy makeover with brown rice noodles, fresh veggies and handfuls of fresh herbs. (via Pinch of Yum)
5. Sesame Chicken Potstickers: These potstickers not only make a delicious meal, but they also provide a fun group activity. Gather up your friends and make it a DIY dumpling party. (via Damn Delicious)
6. Classic Italian Meatballs: It’s a delicate balance to make a meatball that’s both super tender and holds together while cooking, but this recipes does it. Make sure you use extra soft bread in your meat mixture — it’s the secret ingredient! (via Recipe Tin Eats)
8. Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters: You may be sick of roasting birds, but we assure you this one is worth a try. Ginger, lime, fish sauce and Sriracha team up to make a powerful marinade and a zippy flavor profile. (via Eat Well 101)
9. Miso Glazed Black Cod: After cooking a full Thanksgiving meal, stepping back into the kitchen might feel a little daunting. Fortunately, this yummy dinner comes together in about 30 minutes. (via Closet Cooking)
10. Spicy Vegan Lentil Soup: When you’re looking for a little feel-good food between the cheese plates and eggnog, this vegan soup really hits the spot. It’s comforting, hearty and completely guilt-free. (via Cookie + Kate)
11. Indian Butter Chicken This is a cold-weather favorite. Make sure you have plenty of fresh naan on hand for this dish. You’ll want to soak up every last drop of the creamy tomato sauce. It’s that good. (via The Kitchen Paper)
12. Roasted Carrots With Garlicky Farro, Chickpeas, Pepitas and Herbed Crème Fraîche: Roasted veggies are a welcome change of pace when you’ve been indulging in a little too much pumpkin pie. This dish is definitely not lacking in the flavor department, and you’ll love the brightness of the crème fraîche. (via Vermont Creamery)
13. White Chicken Chili: There’s nothing like a hearty soup on a cold winter night. A little cream cheese and pureed cannellini beans are the secret to this seriously creamy chili. (via Cooking Classy)
14. Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry: This stir fry comes together in 20 minutes, and it’s super tasty. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion, if you have those on hand. It doesn’t get better (or easier) than that. (via Damn Delicious)
15. One-Pan Apricot and Brie Stuffed Chicken Breast With Roasted Potatoes: This meal is firing on all cylinders. It’s sweet, savory and creamy — AND it all happens in one pan, so you can get through cleanup faster. (via Half Baked Harvest)
17. Minestrone Verde: This is the yummiest way to eat green (literally!) when you need a healthy boost. This version of the traditional Italian soup is filled with leeks, peas, kale and zucchini, and topped off with a flavorful basil pesto. (via Eats Well With Others)
What’s your go-to weeknight meal during the holidays? Tell us in the comments below!