There are more than a few essentials to crafting the ideal space for catching some ZZZs. Whether you want to upgrade your bedroom or you’re trying to work with a small space, we’ve got some DIY projects to help you design the bedroom of your dreams. Not only is creating pieces in your space more rewarding, but let’s be honest: Sometimes we got to keep it thrifty.
1. Cozy Rugs for Chilly Mornings
Those hardwood floors are beautiful and all, but in the mornings, that cold floor has you running on tip toes. Make your room extra cozy with a little tootsie protection.
2. T-Shirt Braided Rug: Who doesn’t have a stash of old t-shirts that you just can’t bear to throw away (but will never wear ever again)? Put those tees to good use with a rug that looks straight out of a catalog. (via Megsie May Makes)
2. Nightstands to Keep You Organized
You know the pile on the floor with your glasses, your current must-read and last night’s glass of water? Keep them off the floor (and easier to reach) with any one of these modern nightstands.
1. Table Upcycle: If thrifting is your thing, you know that it’s much easier to find one long table than two matching nightstands. You can solve that problem by simply sawing that table in half. (via HGTV)
3. Copper Pipe Side Table: A copper pipe and a piece of wood come together to make a nightstand that’s perfect for frugalistas. In fact, the whole table is made from unexpected hardware store supplies. (via Brit + Co)
3. Headboards That’ll Inspire Sweet Dreams
A good headboard can add a little drama to an otherwise boring mattress and box spring, and a stylish one is so easy to make.
1. Upholstered Headboard: It’s hard to find a headboard for less than $100. Craft a professional-grade upholstered headboard just like the ones that run up in the triple digits. With total fabric freedom, it’ll match your room perfectly. (via Taylormade)
4. Set the Mood With DIY Lights
There’s nothing quite like cuddling under the blankets among the glow of candlelight. But the right light can provide the same glow without the danger of forgetting to blow the candles out.
3. Gold-Dipped Light Bulb Chandelier: So you know that thing we said about blowing out the candles? A few light bulbs will solve that problem and still let you enjoy the warm glow of a jaw-dropping chandelier. (via Brit + Co)
5. Show Off Your Personality With Wall Art
Let your personality shine through with these art projects. Not really the artistic type? No worries! These projects are pretty fool-proof.
6. Mirrors for Checking Your #OOTD
Since we don’t all wake up looking flawless like Beyonce, it’s definitely necessary to check yourself out before you brave the other side of your bedroom door.
7. Comfy Pillows for Cuddling
With pillows as thrifty as these, you can pile on the comfort with stacks and stacks of cozy cushions. But you might never get out of bed. (We warned you.)
1. Painted Pillows: These bold pillows will certainly embolden even the most boring of beds. And with fabric paint and gaffers tape at your disposal, you can make your pillows as bold or as subtle as you’d like. (via Brit + Co)
8. Work Your Tech Into the Space
While you should definitely stop sleeping with your phone, we’d be fooling ourselves if we said we didn’t need to stay connected even when relaxing in bed — whether its watching Netflix on the iPad or listening to music on the iPhone.
9. Add Unexpected Bursts of Color
Even if you can’t rehaul your entire bedroom right now, it’s so easy to add a pop of color in unexpected places. It’ll take your bedroom’s style to the next level. Promise!
2. Cell Phone Hanger: Using a lotion bottle (yes, you read that correctly), make a caddy to hold your phone while it charges. Make it a bright color or a bold print, and you’ve got a fashionable and functional new room accessory. (via Make It and Love It)
10. The Perfect Color + Theme
Even as artsy ladies, we don’t have all the design answers, but a perfect bedroom needs a cohesive color scheme or theme, which is why we recommend turning to the experts for bedroom decor advice — and it’s easier than ever with these apps.
1. HGTV Folio App: Scroll through photo after photo of gorgeous interior design to figure out what direction you’d like to take your bedroom’s theme. Sort the photo galleries by color or room. (Free on iOS)
2. Like That Decor: Have an image of a bedroom you want to copycat, but can’t find the purchasable piece? With this app, you click on the item, and they find similar, shoppable pieces that you can get in your apt asap. You can also take a photo of something you like, and the app will find a similar piece. (Free on iTunes)
3. Color Capture: See colors you like out in the wild? Take a photo and save it to this app, which you can use for color inspiration and create palettes using Benjamin Moore’s collection of paint. (Free on iOS and Android)
11. A Way to Display Photos + Mementos
Even if you prefer not having photos of friends and family in your bedroom, photographs demand to be displayed. So whether it’s photos of Great Aunt Mary or your favorite vacation spots, hang them in style.
1. Hoop Photo Display: This stunning DIY display is perfect for photos, but even better for mementos like ticket stubs or postcards. Choosing a bold color like red is also a great choice. (via Pinke Pank)
12. Your Own Creative Corner
While your bedroom has its utilitarian uses (sleeping, getting dressed), it can also be the best space for crafting and creating. With these tips, a corner of your bedroom will be your go-to space for finding inspiration.
2. Triangle Wall Storage System: These geo cardboard triangles keep all your paint brushes, makeup brushes, pens, pencils and more right where you can easily find them for that moment when inspiration hits. (via Brit + Co)
4. Chalkboard Calendar Wall: Stay organized and on top of things with a wall-sized calendar that serves as a constant reminder of your month’s obligations. You can also jot little notes and reminders to yourself without fishing for a piece of paper. (via Martha Stewart)
13. A Place for Your Baubles
Why hide away your gorgeous collection of jewelry when it should be on display! These crafty displays turn your favorite pieces into works of art.
14. Clocks to Keep You Punctual
Hey sleepyheads, every bedroom needs a clock (or two… or three), so here are a few DIY wall clocks that’ll make you fashionably early.
3. Marble Wall Clock: If you’re going for a chic theme, a mini marble tile clock is a perfect addition to your room. If you happen upon a treasure trove of tiles, a series of clocks would NEED to be made for all your friends and fam. (via Brit + C0)
In your opinion, what does a perfect bedroom desperately need? Let us know in the comments below!