There is something about a perfectly prepped guest room that screams “mature adult.” Just because you haven’t made your own bed all week doesn’t mean you can’t rock a guest room that will even impress your in-laws. As families and friends start making travel plans for the holidays, keep your stress levels as low as possible by having the spare room ready to host. Whether you have the time to add a new piece of furniture or you just want to put together a few special treats, here are 23 DIYs to spruce up the spare bedroom and make your visitors feel right at home.
1. DIY Midcentury Daybed: If you don’t have the space to put in a full-sized bed, don’t give up on the guest room just yet. Ditch the blow up mattress and DIY this pretty little day bed instead. (via Sugar and Cloth)
3. Fresh Flowers: A bright bouquet of flowers sets the tone for a relaxing stay. Take a tip from pro flower arrangers and split up a big store-bought bouquet into several smaller arrangements you can set around the house. (via Brit + Co)
4. Handmade Cinnamon, Orange and Fir Room Spray: Nothing beats walking into a well-scented room to make you feel really at home. Choose your favorite essential oils to create a mini oasis of positively festive vibes. (via Little Green Dot)
5. DIY Luggage Rack: If there isn’t space for a bench, give the room the hotel treatment with a mini luggage rack right at the end of the bed. Or put a tray on it and use it as a collapsible bedside table. (via DIY Show Off)
6. DIY Hanging Hammock Chair: Guest room too tiny for a chair? Totally fine, because this hanging hammock chair is way more fun anyway. You’ll probably want to steal it for your own room. (via Brit + Co)
8. Nightstand Table Makeover: Too often the guest room gets stuck with furniture that you don’t really love. Instead of having a room full of castaway pieces, revamp a plain night stand with some cool contact paper and a stylish knob or two. (via A Beautiful Mess)
9. Personalized Bookends: A guest room can be a sanctuary when guests need some alone time. Give them something to read and make sure all those books are looking sharp with these color blocked bookends. (via Brit + Co)
10. Mini Marble Hexagon Clock: No one wants to stare at a glowing alarm clock during their vacation, but they also don’t want to be late for brunch. Let them know what time it is in a subtle and stylish way with this DIY clock. (via Sugar and Cloth)
12. Pom Pom Basket: Fill a big basket with extra blankets, pillows and towels so your guests can really make themselves feel at home without constantly asking where things are. (via Design Improvised)
14. DIY Pom Pom Keychains: If you have guests who are staying a while or who need to come and go a lot, sometimes it’s nice to give them a spare key. Just make sure they can’t lose it with this enormous pom pom keychain. (via A Bubbly Life)
16. Guest Room Printable: It’s usually only a matter of moments before family and friends will ask you for your wifi password, so save the hassle of spelling it out for them. Print it off and display it somewhere easily accessible. (via Elegance and Enchantment)
17. DIY Lavender Sachets: Traveling means suitcases full of slightly stale-smelling clothes. Leave a tray of these pretty sachets in the dresser so your visitors can freshen up their outfits without hogging the laundry room. (via Brit + Co)
18. Tissue Paper Wall Art: Just because it’s the spare room doesn’t mean the walls should be neglected. This easy DIY wall art is fun to make, and you can use seasonal colors if you want a holiday-themed room. (via Brit + Co)
20. DIY Leather Pendant Lamp: Keep things cozy by avoiding the glaring overhead light and setting up something a little more stylish. One of these pendant lights by the side of the bed saves stubbed toes and lets your guests comfortably read in bed. (via Brit + Co)
What are you doing to get your home ready for holiday visitors? Share your tips and tricks in the comments below!