How to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle Your Makeup This Spring
There’s no denying that when it comes to spring cleaning your beauty supplies, a spick and span top shelf + makeup kit are the obvious goals. But it takes a little more than rearranging your stash and washing your brushes to really get the most out of your deep clean — you also need to think consciously about your makeup. To do that, just remember the Three R’s you’ve been reciting since you called Lipsmackers your balm of choice: reduce, reuse and recycle. We’re using those keywords to inspire your most thorough beauty cleanse yet, and to help set you up with a more convenient, time-saving and eco-friendly routine that will last way past your once-a-year scrub down.
1. Consolidate your spring essentials: Clutter is never in style, so skip the stacking and sifting by dividing up your seasonal faves into their own custom palettes. The slim, magnetic Z Palette is the easiest way to streamline your beauty haul. Just pop your makeup pods out of their packaging and scrape your go-to lipsticks into fresh empties to create this extremely totable all-in-one.
Pro tip: Don’t stop at spring! Make palettes for the rest of the major seasons and curate others especially for events. Think: sparkles and metallics in a NYE or GNO stash, or next-level neutrals and pastels in a special wedding guest group. (via Brit + Co)
2. Think small: Portability many not sound extremely sexy, but it might be what’s holding you back from having everything you need in your bag for that crucial desk-to-date pick-me-up. When it comes to buying new products, commit to a travel-sized mindset. With less bulk to worry about — and more room in your bag for other transitional essentials, like a pair of party heels — you won’t think twice about toting them along. Plus, you’re all but guaranteed to use up the formulas before they expire (says the girl with the MAC eyeshadow palette from 2009 she can’t let go of).
Pro tip: Bookmark brands like Stowaway that specialize in high-quality, space-saving products for eyes, skin, lips and cheeks to make sure you’ve got your bases covered. Don’t forget — big name purveyors like Sephora have travel-friendly sections too!
3. Learn to hack your makeup in multiple ways: Your favorite lipstick could also be the best blush you’ve ever tried… you just don’t know it yet. Call it more-for-less magic, but for the most part, your makeup basics *can* be used in multiple ways. Learn how to here. (via Brit + Co)
Pro tip: Besides a little bit of makeup savvy, a small angled brush ($5) can help you take your makeup so much further. Keep one on hand to hack mascara as eyeliner and eye shadow as brow color (a personal fave of mine).
4. Think in twos: Makeup often is applied in twos: a base coat and a top coat, a day lip and a night lip, a highlight and a contour. But that doesn’t mean you should be stuck lugging around a load of one-trick ponies. Sleuth out smartly designed and formulated products that can pull double duty without any baggage. Our current favorites include Bite Beauty’s Luminous Color Duo ($12) in spring-ready pops of Tangerine and Lingonberry, and pretty much any of Nonie Creme Colour Prevails‘ duos for lips, eyes and face.
Pro tip: Since you’ve got two shades or formulas at your disposal, try mixing them together the next time you want to take your look to the next level.
5. Invest in sustainable, eco-friendly brands: It’s no secret that traditional beauty products are often made with harsh ingredients. So making the switch to an all-eco-friendly bag isn’t just great for your skin, it’s great for the environment. Besides having strict regulations for what goes inside their products, often including ethically-sourced and vegan ingredients, these top-notch clean beauty brands often use recyclable or biodegradable packaging too. Win-win.
Pro tip: Clean beauty products are officially no longer reserved for the eco-chic elite. Companies like Credo and #Truthbeauty campaigners Beauty Lies Truth are making “going granola” with your makeup easier — and cooler — than ever by specializing in slinging only the most stand-up sustainable and safe finds.
6. Cross over your products: Think outside of the makeup bag with non-traditional products that boost results or shorten your routine. There’s definitely a short list of game-changing multi-taskers you’ll never look at the same way again, from lemon juice for brightening skin and lightening hair (the natural Sun-In), to using a blow drier for drying those locks and curling your lashes, to baby powder for removing excess oil from your roots and lengthening your lashes. (via Brit + Co)
Pro tip: If you can’t find what you need in the bathroom, snoop around in the kitchen. Basic ingredients like herbs, avocados, honey and sugar are also skin care saviors. Instead of tossing those last few drops, sprigs or slices, just get your DIY on!
What ways do you reduce, reuse and recycle your beauty routine? Tell us how you spring clean your makeup in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)