11 Foods That Pair Oh-So Nicely With Champagne
‘Tis the season for Champagne! Whether you’re popping bottles at your own holiday soirée or ordering up a round with dinner, Champagne is basically a party in a glass. We feel strongly that a bottle of bubbly is appropriate for any occasion, and yes, we have a few favorite combinations, below. Scroll on for the perfect pairings for everything from cocktail hour to Sunday brunch, plus our tips for what combos work best and what to avoid.
1. Salted Almonds: There are few appetizers as chic as a small bowl of salted, buttery nuts with a bottle of the sparkling stuff. We love this pairing to keep things light when you’re enjoying a pre-dinner drink.
2. Truffled Popcorn: Champagne goes well with earthy mushrooms, and truffles are a luxurious way to deliver that palate combo. Plus, the crunchy popcorn is a fun texture alongside the fizz of Champagne. Try this at your holiday open house or office party.
3. Fried Chicken: As if we need another reason to love fried chicken, it’s great with anything bubbly. Dry Champagne cuts the fat, and chicken is a protein that’s not too overpowering.
4. Mushroom Risotto: For a dinner approach to the mushroom idea, try a creamy risotto. Look for a full-bodied Champagne that will stand up to the heartiness of the food.
5. Lemon Meringue Tarts: While you’ll want to avoid any foods that are too sour, lemon meringue tarts are the ideal balance of tart and sweet. The soft meringue is also a nice mirror to the delicacy of the wine.
6. Cheese Plate: Let’s not forget the classics. A hard aged cheese like cheddar or pecorino is best, but you might also consider a little goat cheese and prosciutto on a salty cracker. When hosting a dinner party, treat your guests to this combo upon arrival for an extra special touch.
7. Oysters: Briny oysters practically beg for the acid of a sparkling wine, and the bubbles are a nice textural counterpart. Don’t go too overboard with your toppings (such as spicy Tabasco), as it can overpower the wine.
8. Chinese Food: Similar to the effect it has with fried chicken, Champagne lends a refreshing balance to noodles, dumplings, and certain sauce-heavy Chinese dishes. Look for a demi-sec to go with the sweet condiments that sometimes accompany Chinese cuisine.
9. Mac and Cheese: At this point, you’re probably getting the idea: Cheesy, creamy, and a little bit salty are all notes you want to hit. A pan of mac and cheese and a bottle of Champagne is our choice to bring to the S.O.’s parents (or, of course, enjoy yourself).
10. Peach Sorbet: For an elegant cocktail, try topping a walnut-sized scoop of peach sorbet with a demi-sec. When the sweet fizz is paired with delicate peaches, it’s a match made in heaven.
11. Eggs Benedict: If you’re boozy brunching, opt for a creamy egg dish. We vote for eggs Benny for its added factors of salty ham and creamy Hollandaise sauce.
Follow us on Pinterest for more adulting tips and tricks!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)