Just because the pros (supposedly) always keep their house in guest-ready condition doesn’t mean it always works out that way come holiday season. But you’ve got way more fun things to do — trimming with Christmas tree ornaments, opening advent calendars, winning with your ugly, Instagram-worthy sweater — than getting the house holiday visitor-ready. Ahead, we’ve got 13 affordable (and easy) DIY upgrades that will revamp your bathroom situation and leave you plenty of time to make an epic pizza tree skirt. Just don’t come blaming us if your guests suddenly start spending too much time in there.
2. DIY Shower Curtain: A shower curtain can set the mood of the whole bathroom, so if your current mood is old and musty, switch it out for a fresh new one. You could even go with the colors of the season and paint red and white candy cane stripes. (via Brit + Co)
3. Pineapple Bathmat: When was the last time you bought a clean bathmat? You don’t have to answer that. Patch together a new one out of cheap mats and give your guests the gift of clean toes. (via Dream Green DIY)
4. DIY House Shelving: Chances are pretty high that there isn’t enough storage in your bathroom for your stuff, let alone for guests to store anything. Take the matter to the wall and whip together a mini shelf that they can use during their stay. (via Burkatron)
6. Color Coded Towel Loops: Fresh towels on the daily would be nice, but you’ve got more fun things to do than laundry. Keep everyone’s towels separate and organized by adding color coded loops and letting guests pick a color. (via Kristi Murphy)
7. DIY Bathroom Storage Bags: Most of us are not living in the bathroom of our dreams, and storage is always a little tight. If you have a lot of guests sharing a bathroom, it could be nice to give everyone a little bag to store their lotions and potions during their stay. (via The Lovely Drawer)
8. Hand Towel Ring: You can fake trendy metallic fixtures in the bathroom by spray painting wood fixtures gold and then adding a leather anchor. It’s quick and easy, and you can easily replace all the fixtures in a few hours. (via Cuckoo 4 Design)
11. Medicine Cabinet Makeover: Give everyone a colorful surprise when they open the medicine cabinet by covering the back with removable wallpaper. It’s so cute, you’re not going to want to close the door again. (via Design Improvised)
12. Geometric Clay Knobs: Nothing updates a bathroom faster than switching out the hardware. And switching it out with knobs you made yourself? Now you’re just showing off. (via Delineate Your Dwelling)
13. Color Block Soap: Ditch the grungy white bar and DIY some seriously cool soap. Watch out — your guests might pretend they’re living the hotel life and sneak a couple bars home with them. (via Brit + Co)
Are you ready to DIY your way to a prettier bathroom? Follow us on Pinterest for more home decor inspo.