As far as vegetables go, sweet potatoes might just be the most versatile. They can be sweet, savory or even full-on desserts. They can serve as a base for sweet potato toast or as the filling for ravioli. They even come in several colors in case you get tired of the orange. Not to mention they’re full of antioxidants and vitamins to keep you in tip-top shape. Yep — sweet potatoes are the best, bar none. And it’s a HUGE bonus that they’re also Thanksgiving’s favorite root vegetable. Below you’ll find a variety of 17 recipes, from appetizers to main dishes that you can serve to your family on busy weeknights or to guests during the holidays.
1. Whipped Bourbon Bacon Sweet Potatoes With Crispy Sage: Bacon makes everything better, including whipped sweet potatoes. When you add bourbon, browned butter and crispy sage to the mix you’re treading on a dangerous deliciousness territory. (via How Sweet It Is)
2. Baked Cinnamon Sugar Sweet Potato Tots: Who doesn’t love tater tots? Adults and children alike will jump for joy at the sight of these cinnamon-sugar spiced sweet potato tots. (via Running With Spoons)
3. Cauliflower Sweet Potato Burger With Avocado and Sriracha Aioli: The combination of cauliflower and sweet potato are the dream veggie burger pairing. Smear with avocado and Sriracha aioli and you definitely won’t miss the meat. (via Feed Me Phoebe)
4. Creamy Thai Carrot Sweet Potato Soup: Sweet potatoes go *way* beyond casseroles. This flavorful soup is full of Thai spices, herbs and citrus, enhancing the taste like you’ve never experienced before. (via Half Baked Harvest)
5. Garlic Herb Roasted Sweet Potatoes: This fuss-free side basically cooks itself. A quick toss with garlic, herbs and parmesan along with 30 minutes in the oven yields a dish you’ll make over and over. (via Cooking Classy)
6. Herb Scalloped Sweet Potatoes With Bacon and Gruyere: We’ve all had scalloped potatoes (even ones from a box), but have you tried making them with sweet potatoes? The sweetness paired with salty bacon and gruyere is an indulgent combo you shouldn’t pass up. (via Carlsbad Cravings)
9. Rosemary Sea Salt Sweet Potato Rolls: Let’s be honest, rolls are the best part of any dinner table. This is even truer when those rolls are flavored with sweet potato and aromatic rosemary. Pass the butter? (via Country Cleaver)
10. Healthy Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole: Traditional sweet potato casserole is a tad hard on the waistline. (i.e., full of added sugar.). The natural sugars in the sweet potatoes, apples and honey are plenty to sweeten this healthier version. (via Kristine’s Kitchen)
11. Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes With Parmesan Cheese: What are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and equal parts sweet and buttery? These savory smashed sweet potatoes with garlic butter and parm, of course! (via Cafe Delites)
12. Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Gnocchi: Once you make gnocchi the first time, you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making it your whole life because it’s THAT easy. Serve to guests with a simple browned butter and sage sauce and you’ll be sure to impress. (via The Krooked Spoon)
13. Sweet Potato and Feta Tart: Whether you serve this as a vegetarian main or a hearty dinner party starter, this tart is going to be the talk of the night. There’s a hidden layer of caramelized onion that brings the whole dish together. (via The Cook’s Pyjamas)
14. Sweet Potato Quinoa Black Bean Salad: Quinoa, sweet potatoes and black beans are like the superfood trifecta. Make a huge batch of this salad and you’ll have a healthy lunch to take to work every day of the week. (via Well Plated by Erin)
15. Sweet Potato Rounds With Goat Cheese: Toasted baguette is SO last year. Serve your appetizers on a round of sweet potato to add flavor and texture to whatever ingredients you put on top. (via Ciao Florentina)
16. Sweet Potato Turkey Meatballs: Ground turkey and sweet potatoes are healthy, so that makes up for the fact these are fried… right? Either way, these meatballs were made for tailgating and holiday parties. (via Jo Cooks)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious weeknight recipe ideas!