With this collection of 14 flaky Danish recipes, your usual coffeehouse pastry selection will soon be a thing of the past. Whether you have hours to spend layering butter and flour into the perfect dough or prefer to speed things up with a few speedy and totally ingenious hacks, we’ve got you covered. Once you’ve mastered the Danish, you’ll be all ready to tackle another irresistible challenge: the croissant. Alright, let’s get rolling.
1. Cherry Jam Danishes (Vegan): The usual butter-laden Danish dough gets a vegan makeover with this excellent, just-as-flaky recipe. Not a fan of cherries? Simply use your favorite flavor jam instead. (via Oh, Lady Cakes)
3. Chocolate, Berry and Cream Cheese Danish: As tempting as it might be to mow down on the giant Danish yourself, it’s definitely meant to be cut into squares and shared with those near and dear to you. (via White on Rice Couple)
4. Cranberry-Orange Danish Braid: You won’t believe the secret ingredient used to make this super quick pastry, filled with the bright, tangy flavor of citrus and tart cranberries. It’s Bisquick. (via Tablespoon)
5. Blueberries ‘n’ Cream Danish Braid: Put your big girl apron on and get ready to “roll and fold” your way to this mouthwatering classic. Once you try this totally-from-scratch Danish braid, it’ll be hard to go back to the kind that comes in a box. (via Sally’s Baking Addiction)
6. 10-Minute English Muffin Berry Cream Cheese Danish: Reach for this Danish hack when pastry cravings strike but you don’t have the time to run out to the grocery store, let alone whip up a batch from scratch. (via Neighbor Food)
7. Berry Danish (Gluten-Free): The hardest part of making this Danish is waiting for the buns to chill and rise. In short: a seriously simple recipe yielding seriously delicious pastry. (via Gluten-Free Canteen)
9. Savory Danish: Stuffed with arugula, onion, feta and a host of complementary fillings, this savory take on the Danish is quite reminiscent of calzone. Enjoy them hot out of the oven or at room temp. (via Brendan Bakes)
10. Orange Sugar Danish Pastries: It doesn’t get much easier than this. Puff pastry and orange-zest-enhanced sugar are twisted together to create unbelievably flaky pastries that need nary a drizzle of glaze. (via Hummingbird High)
11. Chocolate Cherry Cream Cheese Danish: Nutella is so good at sneaking into delicious pastries, and guess what? Oops, it did it again. Feel free to leave it out entirely or swap in chocolate chips instead. (It’s okay. We can still be friends.) (via The Kitchen McCabe)
What’s your favorite Danish filling — cheese, fruit or something more savory? Let’s talk about our fave flaky baked goods below.