11 Sweet and Savory Recipes to Use Up That Box of Puff Pastry
It’s happened to the best of us. You use one sheet of puff pastry to make pigs-in-a-blanket, and the other one is left to either dry out in the fridge or get freezer burn. That is no way to handle the flaky dough that could be used for delicious danishes, croissants, and more. You need to get your money’s worth, which is why we’ve rounded up sweet and savory recipes for you to try.
1. Pepperoni Pizza Rolls: We think we’ve found the best way to serve ‘za as an app, and it begins with puff pastry.
2. Cinnamon Bun Palmiers: These crispy, crunchy cookies are extra good with a drizzle of icing.
3. Bacon Pastry Twists: Served alongside beer cheese dip, these buttery puffs are a breeze to bake and bursting with flavor.
4. Heart-Shaped Hazelnut Baked Brie: Nothing says, “I love you” like heart-shaped brie wrapped in a flaky crust and baked until gooey in the center.
5. Muffin Pan Veggie Pot Pies: It doesn’t get more comforting than this staple. Switch the standard pie dough for a buttery puff pastry crust and experience heaven.
6. Sweet Potatoes in a Blanket: Vegetarians will adore these blankets as a main, but don’t be surprised if others want to sneak one onto their plates too.
7. Strawberry Puffs: Don’t worry — we won’t tell if you eat more than one of these strawberry-jam puffs with your morning coffee.
8. Sesame Shrimp Puffs: The shrimp stays moist inside the pastry, so you won’t have to worry about overcooked protein.
9. Vegan Apple Hand Pies: If Toaster Strudels were your favorite as a kid, then you will be all about these hand pies. You can fill them with whatever you like, but this spiced apple concoction is pretty amazing.
10. Cheesy Jalapeño Sausage Rolls: This mix between a jalapeño popper and a pig-in-a-blanket is a major party win.
11. Apple Tart: When you’re nostalgic for grandma’s apple pie, take 30 minutes to bake this easy pastry. It’s sweet, spicy and best served with a drizzle of caramel on top.
(Photos via Brit + Co)
Additional reporting by Paige Johnson