When it comes to summertime desserts, ice cream is pretty much on the top of our favorites list. And while every day in summer is ice cream day, July is National Ice Cream Month and this week at Brit HQ is ICE CREAM WEEK #staycool! What more reason do we need to indulge? This week, we’re pulling out all the stops, serving up stunning oversized ice cream cakes, sundaes, ice cream sandwiches, and right now we’re focusing on the iconic ice cream truck treat. It’s always more satisfying to DIY, so read on to discover 10 ways you can recreate classic treats like Klondike bars and creamsicles in your own kitchen.
1. Fudgy Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches: All of our favorite memories seem to involve ice cream sandwiches. DIY these sweet and perfectly nostalgic treats, because nobody should have to suppress a craving for an ice cream sandwich. (via Garnish with Lemon)
2. Homemade Fudgesicles: The bad news: you’ll want to unmold these and then refreeze until firm again before eating. The good news: none of this matters because it’s totally worth it. These creamy chocolate popsicles are way better than the store-bought variety, plus there are no weird additives! (via Chocolate Moosey)
3. Firecracker Popsicles: Popsicles are simply the hip way to hydrate in the summer heat. And aren’t these firecracker pops simply everyone’s favorite? They’ve been making childhood summers better (and stickier) since… well, forever. (via Brown Eyed Baker)
4. Magnum Ice Cream Bars: We don’t know whether to be more excited by the homemade ice cream or the fact that these homemade treats are sugar-free. Magnum, you’ve met your match. (via Be Good Organics)
6. Homemade Drumsticks: Waffle cones are loaded with heaping mounds of vanilla ice cream and generously sprinkled with chopped peanuts to recreate the iconic drumstick. But for real, it’s your ice cream party and you can do whatever you want. Get creative with ice cream flavors and top these cones with whatever sprinkles, sauces or other toppings your heart desires. (via I Wash You Dry)
8. Choco Tacos: Your two favorite foods just collided. The much-loved dessert taco is somewhat hard to track down these days, so why not recreate it? Each shell is loaded with fudge-swirled vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate and piled high with peanuts. What a great way to end taco night! (via Food 52)
8. Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake Popsicles: Have some fresh strawberries on hand? Shortcake pops are surprisingly easy to make and are simply the best strawberry dessert you’ll ever eat. Good Humor, you’ve been dethroned. (via Chelsea’s Messy Apron)
9. Klondike Bars: Ahhh, the original Klondike. We find it unbelievable that the best ice cream bar ever conceived can be recreated with three simple ingredients (although we’d go to a lot more trouble to get our hands on one!). What would YOU do for a DIY Klondike bar? (via Brown Eyed Baker)
Tell us: What was your favorite ice cream truck treat as a kid? Do you have any recipes for iconic summer desserts like these? Share them with us in the comments below!