Running out the door to hit the gym? Take just five minutes to make a healthy pre-workout snack and you’ll be happy you did. Experts say what you eat before a workout can have a major impact on how easy (or freakin’ hard) your gym session ends up being. A good rule of thumb is to make your snack a mix of mostly carbs and a little bit of protein for maximum exercise success. Here are 15 pre-workout snack ideas that help to boost your energy and ensure you’re burning fat, not muscle.
2. Trail Mix: Choose a mix that doesn’t have too many sweet additions (yes, we know the M&Ms are the best part). Or even better, try making your own with your favorite nuts and dried fruit. (via The Wannabe Chef)
4. Skim Latte: Can you believe we’re putting coffee on the list of things you should be eating? The caffeine in coffee will keep you amped up just enough to get through that HIIT workout. (via Offbeat and Inspired)
5. Whole Wheat Toast With Banana and Cinnamon: Don’t knock carbs – when it comes to workout snacks, they are your BFF. Bananas are perfect for raising potassium levels since you’ll lose a lot when you’re sweating, and cinnamon gives your metabolism an extra kick. (via Prevention)
7. Honey Almond Butter and Apple: Switch up the old peanut butter and apple combo with a sweet almond butter spread. Mix one banana, a spoonful of honey, a scoop of protein powder, a tablespoon of cocoa powder and one tablespoon of almond butter for a snack that tastes just like dessert. (via PopSugar)
9. Dates and Peanut Butter: When you’re planning on working out during your lunch break or after work, it’s nice to have a snack ready to go. Slice open pitted dates, put a half-tablespoon of nut butter inside and then toss them in your workout bag or purse for a quick snack. (via Prevention)
10. Fruit Smoothies: Smoothies are an awesome pre-workout snack because they can be rapidly digested, and have the key combination of simple and complex carbohydrates. Bonus points if you drink it with a rad straw like this one. (via Brit + Co)
12. Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls: Dump all the ingredients into a blender and you have instant protein snacks. Whip up a bunch of these handy balls on Sunday and you’ll have treats ready for the whole week. (via Vegan Family Recipes)
14. Chocolate Banana Smoothie: Whip up this delish smoothie for the perfect blend of sweet and protein. The coconut milk adds a creamy texture and major nutrient-rich boost that’ll power you through just about anything. (via Paleo Grubs)
What are your favorite pre-workout snacks? Share your tips in the comments below!