18 Fresh + Clean Citrus Beauty DIYs
Winter may be dull and gray, but there is one bright ray of sunshine in all that cold snow and rain: It’s the season for citrus fruits! Our favorite bright and clean-smelling fruits — including lemons, grapefruit, orange and lime — bring a much-needed taste of sunshine into this dark and dreary time of year. Besides whipping up plenty of tasty snacks and drinks with these beauties, we’ve been scouring the Internet to find some sweet beauty DIYs you can make with citrusy treats. Using the natural astringent properties in citrus, these DIYs will have you looking and smelling so fresh and so clean. Check out some of our top picks for citrus beauty must-haves to make on your very own.
2. Grapefruit Avocado Oil Scrub: This easy DIY recipe uses light and gentle avocado oil, which won’t clog your pores. Get ready to feel and smell amazing after incorporating it into your weekly routine. (via Brit + Co)
3. Orange Coconut Whipped Body Butter: Smooth this on irritated or dry winter skin for fast relief. You’ll have baby-soft, summery-smelling skin all winter long with this easy recipe. (via Hello Natural)
4. Citrus Sunshine Perfume: Just because it’s gray outside doesn’t mean you can’t bring a little brightness to your day with this light and fresh perfume. Customize your batch with different ratios of oil to get that perfect, totally-you scent. (via Hello Natural)
5. DIY Body Scrub: This basic scrub is a great place to start if you’re not familiar with the process. Add your own special blend of essential oils and scents to make it citrusy and bright. We think a mix of lemon, mint and vanilla would be just divine. (via Hey Gorgeous)
7. Cuticle Cream: Sure, your lips need some protection against the cold wind, but don’t forget about your precious fingers! This soothing cream will have your cuticles smooth and soft in no time. (via Gimme Some Oven)
8. Grapefruit Detox Mask: Make this simple recipe with ingredients from your kitchen: grapefruit and yogurt. The grapefruit tones and fights signs of aging, while the yogurt fights acne and discoloration. (via Hello Natural)
12. Coconut Grapefruit Hair Treatment: Treat yo’ self (and your scalp) with this moisturizing and impurity-removing scalp treatment. It’s like a spa treatment from the comfort of your own home. (via The Mother Huddle)
13. Orange Moisturizing Face Mask: Oatmeal, orange, yogurt and honey make this a soothing mask that smells like the best sort of breakfast. We won’t judge if you lick a little bit off your cheeks when you’re done letting the mask work its magic. (via Food + Words)
14. Lemon and Grapefruit Scrub: A double dose of citrus will wake you up with its invigorating scent. We advise splashing this on with some cold water in the morning for a major energy boost. (via Frugal Living Mom)
16. Super C Tonic: Start your beauty regimen by cleaning from the inside out. This healthy tonic gives you an immunity boost of vitamin C, plus some cayenne to get your blood running and metabolism up. (via Greatist)
Which of these are you most excited to make? Any DIYs you like to make with your favorite citrus? Tell us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.