20 Game Night Games Better Than Cards Against Humanity
Party on! Game nights are typically the best nights. Seriously, what’s more fun than sitting around the table playing a game, drinking a cocktail or two and laughing with friends?! We’d totally take that over a night sweating (even without twerking) at the club. You know you’ve made it through that Cards Against Humanity deck too many times to count, so refresh your game night stash with some of the best new party games around.
1. What Do You Meme? ($30): This is the perfect game for anyone who has spent any time on the internet. Match funny captions with well-known internet memes (a rotating judge picks the best one) to create an afternoon or evening of hilarity.
2. Game of Phones ($20): This techy card game prompts you and your friends to compete in smartphone-based tasks. With assignments ranging from “Find your best #selfie” to “Create an emoji masterpiece,” you’re guaranteed belly laughs and conversation starters galore. Just like with Cards Against Humanity, each round has a judge that picks the winner, so get your phone stacked with game changers now.
3. Buffalo ($25): If you love name-droppingg, this is the card game for you. Players race to identify people or characters that match the descriptions of two cards as fast as they can (example: a British wizard = Harry Potter). The player with the most cards once the pile runs out wins this rapid fire name game.
4. Bottle Bracket ($100 a month): This part wine club part bracket tournament will turn your gang into a bunch of sommeliers over a night filled with four mystery bottles. Whether you think you can determine the difference between a $20 and a $40 bottle or not, this blind taste testing experience will have you feeling like you’re at a Napa vineyard and not spending another night at your apartment.
5. Exploding Kittens ($20): This card game is like Russian Roulette “for people who are into kittens and explosions and laser beams and sometimes goats.” Count us in.
6. F**k the Game ($18): This card game requires slapping and swearing and laughing at your friends. Players take turns flipping over cards and shouting the words on them until someone f**ks up. PSA: This dirty word game is marked adults only; sorry, kiddos.
7. Personally Incorrect ($25): Love being offended? Then you will enjoy this game where you basically insult each and every one of your guests. By inserting a partygoer’s name for each designated card and picking an offensive answer card, everyone better come with thick skin to finish this game unscathed. Let the roasting begin!
8. Say Anything ($20): If you’re looking to reeeally get to know your friends, this is the game for you and your group (um, and maybe an invite to the new person you’ve been dating is in order). By reading questions and providing answers, you’ll quickly and creatively get inside the mind of all your party guests fast.
9. The Game of Things ($42): This provocative game will leave your jaw on the floor from the hilarious, creative, and outrageous things your friends say. Simply by drawing topic cards like “Things a chimp thinks about when he sees you at the zoo,” responses are sure to be out of this world. After everyone writes down a response, and the best part starts — you all guess who said what. Let the hilarious finger pointing begin.
10. Deck Around ($38): Get a slang word and provide a definition for it. Nope, this isn’t a spelling bee. If you can convince everyone in the group your definition (even if it’s not accurate) is the correct meaning, you win the round. With words like “twerk” in the deck, this game is bound to heat up quickly.
11. WTF Did You Say!?! ($25): Your friends say the darndest things. This game is an offshoot of Cards Against Humanity, but we still love it.
12. What’s Yours Like? ($30): Tell it like it is and you’ll excel at this one. Players have to guess words based off of creative word clues after asking the question, “What’s yours like?” Seriously, we wanna know.
13. Disturbed Friends ($25): Grab your most twisted friends for a card-based battle to see who has the weirdest mind.
14. Scrabble Twist ($9): The classic word game is finally digital. Everyone will surely be wanting a piece of this wordsmith electronic, which gets harder as you play. Scatter your tiles and never pick ’em up again.
15. That’s What She Said ($25): Are you basically Michael Scott from The Office? Any sucker for jokes and innuendos would love this saucy game.
16. Never Have I Ever, The Game of Poor Life Decisions ($25): You and your friends can put your trust to the test by sharing your deepest, most embarrassing secrets in this revealing game.
17. The Voting Game ($25): In this game, instead of voting for the funniest answer, you vote for the player each card seems to describe. Talk about finding out who your real friends are.
18. Drawing Without Dignity ($25): It’s part Cards Against Humanity, part Pictionary. If you have friends who are particularly good artists (or even if they’re not), this game is hours of fun.
19. The Metagame ($25): This game is so much more than just being funny. It’s about deep philosophical questions like, “Which feels more like first love: The Mona Lisa or the Big Mac?”
20. The Awkward Storyteller ($25): Players use their best storytelling skills to improvise the best, most ridiculous tale for the party.
Bonus: Cards Against Humanity: ’90s Nostalgia Pack ($9) (Regular game is $25 or free download): Okay, we know we promised you a slew of games better than CAH, but the classic adult card party game has a ’90s expansion pack, so this counts. If you’re into all things neon and Nickelodeon, you’re going to want this deck of cards. Even after endless nights of playing, the pairings that come up still surprise us years later.
Additional reporting by Andrea Romano.
What are your go-to game night games? Share them with us @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.