May 29, 2017
17 Celeb Couples Who Showed Off Their Love on the Big Screen
When it comes to on-screen romances, there’s on-screen chemistry, and then there’s the real deal: couples so in sync that they’ve either already found love with one another or fell in love before our very eyes, while speaking their character’s romantic lines. Soon enough, we’ll have plenty more of the former, as some of our fave couples including Emily Blunt and John Krasinski (who have never starred in a film with one another despite plenty of successful individual projects) and Anna Faris and Chris Pratt (who haven’t been seen in a film together since 2007’s Take Me Home Tonight) will both be working on upcoming projects together, but in the meantime, we’re taking a trip down memory lane to remember all those that came before them. Click through to see who made the list!
1. Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck: Ah, the ill-fated Gigli. Never has a film — or a leading couple — been so mercilessly mocked as much as J. Lo and her former paramour Ben Affleck were for this box office bomb. Maybe it was all the media hype surrounding it or maybe it was the scathing reviews, which heralded the flick as one of the worst of all time, but ultimately neither the movie nor its romantic leads came out of this one unscathed — the two broke up shortly after. (Photo via Columbia Pictures)
2. Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield: Two years after their split, fans are STILL rooting for a reconciliation between Emma Stone and her RL superhero ex-BF after falling in love with them in the rebooted The Amazing Spider-Man film series, and honestly, we can’t say we blame them: These two were pretty much the cutest. They still cheer one another on, as we saw Garfield do when Stone won her Golden Globe earlier this year, but frankly, we need more: like, the upside down kiss in the rain we never got to see, more. (Photo via Columbia Pictures)
3. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling: We know, we know: Ryan Gosling is happily partnered up with Eva Mendes these days, sharing two daughters, Esmeralda Armada and Amanda Lee with the Hitch actress. But anyone who’s ever seen The Notebook can surely understand why we just can’t let go of his former onscreen-turned-RL romance with ex-girlfriend Rachel McAdams. Those two BECAME their characters of Allie and Noah right before our very eyes, and after recreating that famous kiss at the MTV Movie Awards back in 2005, for us, “It STILL isn’t over.” Swoon. (Photo via New Line Cinema)
4. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt: By now, everyone knows the story of the on-screen chemistry so real, it broke up what many presumed to be Brad Pitt's fairy-tale marriage to Jennifer Aniston. Though he and Angie went on to have a pretty lengthy run of their own (particularly by Hollywood’s standards), they would ultimately not fare as well as the characters they played onscreen, splitting up after 12 years together. (Photo via 20th Century Fox)
5. Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson: Kristen Stewart now leads a very drastically different life than the one she led while starring in the Twilight films alongside then-boyfriend Robert Pattinson. For starters, she is, as she told President Donald Trump in an SNL monologue, “so gay, dude.” But in 2008, she only had eyes for Pattinson, who she more or less chose as her co-star after a reading thanks to their reported electric chemistry. When the cameras finished rolling, Stewart famously cheated on her man with her 2012 producer for Snow White and the Huntsman, crushing the hearts of not only Pattinson, but Twihards around the world. These days, both parties have moved on from the scandal to find happiness with other people, Pattinson with singer FKA Twigs and she with VS model Stella Maxwell . (Photo via Summit Entertainment)
6. Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe: With Reese Witherspoon just 21 when she got together with now ex-husband Ryan Phillippe, the pair just couldn’t seem to make it last, despite their palpable love for one another in the now cult classic Cruel Intentions. As Phillippe told US Weekly back in 2015, their problems were largely due to age. “I think it can create issues with two people in this industry, because there’s so much noise that goes with it,” he said. Still, the couple share Witherspoon’s twin-like daughter, Ava, and reportedly remain friendly. (Photo via Columbia Pictures)
7. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr: One of the success stories on our list comes from ‘90s heartthrobs SMG and Freddie Prinze Jr., who celebrated their 14th wedding anniversary back in September. The two have starred in several movies since getting together, including their stints as Daphne and Fred in the Scooby Doo franchise, but it was the 1997 horror flick, I Know What You Did Last Summer, in which we first saw them sharing the silver screen. Gellar’s character may not have survived past the first film, but their love? That still lives on. (Photo via Columbia Pictures)
8. Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise: Though it may seem but a distant memory now, with Nicole Kidman happily married to Keith Urban and Tom Cruise remaining rather private about his love life since his high-profile divorce from now ex-wife Katie Holmes, back in the day, the curly-haired Aussie and her leading man were Hollywood’s golden couple. They starred in multiple projects together, including the cinematic love story Far and Away, forever intertwining them together (if only on DVD). (Photo via Universal Pictures)
9. Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck: You would think that after Gigli’s box-office disaster, Affleck would have learned his lesson about onscreen romances, but nope. Another blow came soon after its release for the actor when he co-starred with now ex-wife Jennifer Garner in Daredevil. “Daredevil didn’t work, at all,” he told Entertainment Weekly. While it didn’t create as big of a headache for the production company as Gigli, the 2003 wannabe blockbuster is admittedly not Affleck’s — nor Garner’s — best. Still, one good thing came out of it: Their love for one another, regardless of their would-be fate. “We met on Pearl Harbor , which people hate, but we fell in love on Daredevil,” Affleck told US Weekly. (Photo via 20th Century Fox).
10. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth: Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth’s relationship has gone through many evolutions since the pair first met on the set of their shared film, The Last Song , including one very public engagement, breakup, and re-engagement. Now, after what Cyrus calls "refall[ing] for each other," the two are back on track to be wed. (Photo via Walt Disney Studios)
11. Jenna Dewan and Channing Tatum: These days, Channing and Jenna Dewan-Tatum are one of Hollywood’s most notoriously adorable couples, with a baby girl to call their own, but 10 years ago, the two were merely strangers acting out their parts as Nora and Tyler in the dance film series Step Up. Talk about being in sync! (Photo via Touchstone Pictures)
12. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds: In another case of falling head over heels on the job, Blake Lively met now-hubby Ryan Reynolds on the set of the Marvel flick Green Lantern, though they both took a while to make a move. In fact, they even went so far as to double date with other people! “That was the most awkward date [from their perspective] probably because we were just like fireworks coming across,” Reynolds reportedly recalled on a radio talk show. “It was weird at first, but we were buddies for a long time. I think it’s the best way to have a relationship is to start as friends.” (Photo via Warner Bros., Pictures)
13. Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell: It’s been 30 years — 30 years, people! — since we fell head over heels (pun intended) in love with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell together in the iconic film Overboard, and longer still since the two have been a couple: They’ve been a dynamic duo (and screenmates) since 1983. Though they never tied the knot, they’ve made their mark on one another’s lives — and Hollywood — now cemented together in history with side-by-side stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. (Photo via Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)
14. Freida Pinto and Dev Patel: Breaking into showbiz on one another’s arms, Freida Pinto and Dev Patel simultaneously stole our hearts — and each other’s — on the set of Slumdog Millionaire. While the two had a good run, taking on Tinsel Town together over the next seven years, Pinto told The Daily Mailthat she began to have what she calls a bit of a quarter-life crisis that ultimately ended their relationship. “There comes a point when you’ve got everything you want — career, love, family — but you’ve ignored yourself. Life hits you and you think, ‘What about me? What do I really want?’” And yet, she says they remain friends. “You can’t share such a monumental shift in life, and then not be friends. That would be the saddest thing ever.” (Photo via Fox Searchlight Pictures)
15. Sienna Miller and Jude Law: Sienna Miller and Jude Law almost made It down the aisle together, getting engaged after two years of dating. Ultimately, however, they, like the star-crossed lovers they played in Alfie (he a womanizing sex addict, she a mentally unstable wild child), met their demise when Law was caught cheating with his children’s nanny. (Photo via Paramount Pictures)
16. Courteney Cox and David Arquette: Courteney Cox and David Arquette may have divorced and gone their separate ways, with Arquette recently welcoming his second child with now-wife Christina, but they’ll forever live on in our minds and hearts as one Gale Weathers and her heroic deputy Dewey Riley, thanks to the much-loved Scream series. (Photo via Dimension Films)
17. Christine Taylor and Ben Stiller: The funny twosome have now been married 17 years, leaving plenty of time to share the silver screen with one another after first meeting on the set of the TV show Heat Vision and Jack. They’ve made good use of it, too, going on to star in two TV shows besides, as well as Zoolander, Zoolander 2, Tropic Thunder, and Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. (Photo via Paramount Pictures)
Nicole is the weekend editor for Brit + Co who loves bringing you all the latest buzz. When she's not busy typing away into the wee hours, you can usually find her canoodling with her fur babies, rooting around in a bookstore, or rocking out at a concert of some sort (Guns N' Roses forever!). Check out all her latest musings and past work at nicolebjean.com.