15 Foods Improved by a Little Fat and Flour Action
What do homemade mac and cheese, queso and Thanksgiving gravy all have in common? A magic lil’ thing called roux. This mix of flour and fat is the key to making creamy saucesstay creamy until the bowl is licked clean. Beyond that combo, there are a couple of unique twists — think water or fruit in place of butter — to the traditional ingredients. You’ll find a little bit of everything in this collection of 15 roux recipes.
2. Cauliflower Gratin With Garlic and Sage: Cauliflower, are you in there? Let’s just say that between the sage-scented cheese sauce, bacon and breadcrumbs this veg is well disguised. (via Feasting at Home)
4. Twice Baked Beef + Chorizo-Stuffed Plantains: A unique alternative to loaded baked potatoes, these sweet-salty stuffed plantains drizzled with homemade queso are an out-of-this-world fusion food you’ll want again and again. (via Climbing Grier Mountain)
5. Fish Chowder With Copper River Salmon: Roux does wonders to transform whole milk, coconut milk and just a splash of cream into a totally luxe chowder with a Thai spin. Finally, a tasty bowlful for those of us who shy away from shellfish. (via Foodie Crush)
6. Chicken and Bacon Lasagna: Bechamel takes this lasagna to the next level. You’ll love how it makes an extra creamy casserole that combines the best of both worlds: Alfredo PLUS tomato sauce. (via Kitchen Sanctuary)
7. Fennel Buckwheat Crepes (Gluten-Free): Nutty buckwheat wraps stand up well to a filling of Brussels sprouts, shallots and mushrooms, while a fennel-infused gruyère sauce brings it all together. Feel free to add additional greens or even a poached egg to make these into a substantial brunch option. (via Princess Tofu)
8. Hungarian Bean and Ham Soup: Instead of the usual butter, a roux made from lard (or bacon grease) and flour thickens this paprika-scented ham and bean soup. Using sour cream in place of the heavy stuff adds a nice touch of tang and a more velvety mouthful. (via Saveur)
11. Sweet Potato Gnocchi With Buttermilk Mornay, Figs and Prosciutto: Sweet and salty flavors mingle in every bite of these delicious homemade dumplings. (via Local Milk)
12. Japanese Milk Bread (Gluten-Free): No, you aren’t imagining things. Gluten-free bread that stays soft and fresh for days and days is no longer just the stuff of dreams. (via Gluten-Free on a Shoestring)
14. Dutch Croquettes: Packed with flavor, these beefy, oniony fritters are a fun addition to any appetizer spread. We imagine they’d be an especially big hit at your Super Bowl bash. (via The Kiwi Cook)
15. Instant Roux: Save yourself some time by keeping a jar of this instant roux on hand. Simply toast up a big batch of flour and spices, and you won’t have to tend to a pan of roux cooking to nutty brown perfection over and over again. (via Living Well Kitchen)
What are some of your favorite recipes that use roux? Share yours with us in the comments.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)