20 Sporty Chic Looks for Work and Play
No, we aren’t talking about wearing yoga pants all day, erry day. (Not that we don’t love doing this, but it’s time to mix it up, team!) More like old school sports jerseys, graphic tees and varsity jackets matched up with leather skirts, skinny jeans and tennis skorts. We’ve spotted bloggers and fashionistas repping sports luxe looks on the street, and we are b-a-n-a-n-a-s about this trend. What’s not to love? It’s a winning combo of Sporty Spice chic + comfort. Keep scrolling for our blow-by-blow color commentary on these athletic-inspired looks that will make you a top contender for style MVP. Hands in… BREAK!
1. Chicest on the Team: Amber Rose and Priscilla Ono teamed up to create Rose and Ono, a fashion forward line for fearless women of all shapes and sizes. Be the chicest chick on the team and sport this R+O Oversized Jersey Dress ($80), emblazoned with the brand on the back and your personalized tag on the front pocket. Style blogger GabiFresh is channeling Beyoncé with her #wokeuplikedis lob and the BLOW glow from the neon Cherry sign. (via GabiFresh)
2. Manhattan Beach Varsity: We love the ease and simplicity of throwing together a tennis skirt (or skort) with chambray + Converse. Add a bit of sparkle with a statement necklace + stackable bangles, and you’re ready to strut your stuff down center court. (via Pursuit of Shoes)
3. ***Flawless at the Festival: There’s no other way to describe this look other than FIERCE. The roaring panther varsity tee, hip-hugging flannel, black baseball cap, badass combat boots and the tough leather bomber jacket — we definitely don’t want to go head-to-head against this chick! (via PaniEkscelencja)
4. Pop of Pink: ELLE Fashion Editor Danielle Prescod shows us how Adidas sneaks have become a fashion girl thing — she sported hers at NYFW. So dust off your old school kicks or yourself grab a new pair of Stan Smiths ($75) and spice ’em up with playfully patterned socks, a punchy midi skirt and neutral trench. (via ELLE)
5. Varsity V-Neck: Listen, we love denim cutoffs as much never nude Tobias Fünke. Throwing on a comfy knit v-neck with a varsity stripe detail, leopard sunnies and a swipe of classic red lipstick sounds like the perfect brunch/lazy Sunday outfit to us, natch. (via Northern Style Exposure)
6. Floral Bomber: The mega-sized watercolor print of this floral bomber delivers a visual sucker punch. Shop a similar style ($48) to take a simple v-neck tee and basic jeans to the next level. (via Song of Style)
7. Plaid Play: Homegirl wore combat boots ($150) to the airport! Recreate this look with pieces from JCPenney’s Arizona collection: a cable knit sweater with athletic striped sleeves ($22) and plaid print leggings ($12) for a fashionably frugal outfit. (via Nany’s Klozet)
8. Back to Basics: Amp up a basic sheath dress with a sleek baseball cap, and you’ve got a minimalist look that’s sure to knock it out of the park! This baby blue 3/4-sleeved dress has enough structure and seaming to stand alone, and a baseball cap is a perfect option if you’ve slept through the alarm clock or run out of dry shampoo after a sweaty workout. (via Connected to Fashion)
9. Sporty Stripes: We’re blowing the whistle on this show-stopping look! Can you believe it’s a sleeveless hoodie ($23) tucked into a pair of tuxedo pants ($25)(!!!)? That tote bag ($26) though, y’all. If only all referees had uniforms this sleek. (via Musings of a Curvy Lady)
11. Buzzer Beater: An all-American basketball jersey paired with leather pants, knit blazer, and a chain-link statement necklace is one thing. Styled with a messy low bun, it’s a slam dunk. (via 5 inch and up)
12. Spots Illustrated: Leopard might as well be a neutral for those of you who like to walk on the wild side. This silky graphic blouse adds a touch of class to basic black skinny jeans and Puma kicks. (via Neon Blush)
13. Stylish Scrimmage: This look has us wanting to do a touchdown dance! How much fun is this flirty mesh miniskirt and bright, bold football jersey? The gold statement necklace ($118) and strappy heels complete this sporty superstar outfit. (via Margie Plus)
14. Courtside Chic: Simply pair a thrift store muscle tee with a leather pencil skirt ($72) + lace-up heels to convert a casual piece into a glamorous, date-worthy look for the big game. (via Harper and Harley)
15. Pleats, Not Cleats: If we could make twirling a competitive sport, this would be the official uniform. The juxtaposition of a collared cycling tee + flirty pleated skirt creates a fun contrast between the retro sporty and classic feminine look. (via Nemesis, Babe)
16. Team Player: Whether or not you were a high school or college athlete, bring your A game by donning a varsity jacket. Marie Claire Contributing Editor and style blogger Nicolette Mason snatched her classic b+w coat on Ebay, but you can nab a similar style at Forever 21 ($38). (via Nicolette Mason)
18. Logo Love: Wouldn’t be caught dead in a pair of kicks? You can still rep your fave sports brand with a classic graphic tee, sleeves rolled up and ready for whatever comes your way. We also couldn’t resist the printed wrap skirt (we never can). (via Paperblog)
19. Sideline Stripe: At-home sports fans are always following the yellow “down” line during football games, and we have a feeling this cutout body skimming dress is hot enough to stop traffic. (Maybe even cause a fumble or an interception!) And lucite to match? #clutch (via Made with Fashion)
20. Rock the Raglan: Knock ’em out of the park with a bold burgundy statement that channels A League of Their Own! Paired with a classic pencil skirt and black pumps, this outfit is perfect for those who work hard and play hard. (via Atlantic-Pacific)
The ball’s in your court! How will you style this athletic inspired trend?
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)