20 Blood Orange Recipes to Make Winter More Bearable
With their sweet-tart flavor and radiant rouge hue, there’s nothing quite like blood oranges to add a burst of sunshine to your plate. They’re in season now, so you’ll definitely want to check out these 20 bloody delicious ways to use these outstanding orbs. With both sweet and savory options to choose from, go ahead and make a whole menu centered on this fab citrus. They’ll disappear from the farmers’ market before you know it, so take advantage while you can!
3. Baked Blood Orange Cheesecake: Flecked with zest, this creamy cheesecake packs a considerable citrus flavor. And that’s even before it’s topped with a ring of sugared orange chips. (via Figs and Pigs)
4. Spicy Blood Orange Chicken Wings: Whoever came up with the phrase “ain’t no thang like a chicken wing” must have been referring to these blood-orange-glazed, baked bad boys. The sweet and spicy coating knows how to bring the heat. (via Yes to Yolks)
5. Blood Orange Bourbon Paloma: Turn the usual paloma combo of grapefruit juice and tequila on its head with this blood orange and bourbon version. It features the same kick along with an equally pretty-in-pink shade. (via The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen)
6. Sesame Tahini + Blood Orange Curd Cookies (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free): The nutty flavor of these sesame cookies pairs beautifully with the creamy, homemade citrus curd that sandwiches them together. (via Will Frolic for Food)
8. Roasted Beet and Orange Salad With Pistachios and Feta: The vibrant colors of beets and blood oranges are a lovely match in this healthy side, but that’s not all. You’ll want to go back for seconds once you experience the mix of earthy veggies, puckery citrus and tangy feta. (via Girl Versus Dough)
9. Coconut Rice Pudding With Blood Orange and Lime-Vanilla Sugar: During the dead of winter, each spoonful of this tropical rice pudding is sure to lift your spirits. (via The Kitchen McCabe)
11. Blood Orange Whiskey Sour: No neon sour mix here. Instead, this refreshing sip keeps things fresh with simple syrup and a duo of citrus juices, along with a few dashes of bitters for balance. (via A Cocktail Life)
13. Drunk French Toast Sticks With Beer Blood Orange Syrup: Who says French toast sticks are just for kids? Not us. Especially when they’re made from scratch and served with a beer-spiked syrup. (via The Beeroness)
15. Winter Citrus Galette: Transport your taste buds to warmer locales by topping this winter-ready galette with a dollop of whipped coconut cream. You’ll love how the freeform tart requires no specialty equipment whatsoever — just a regular ol’ baking sheet. (via Salted Plains)
16. Winter Citrus Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing: Sweet meets savory in this showstopper of a citrus salad. The pop of both poppy seeds and cashews truly sets this one apart from the rest. (via A Happy Food Dance)
18. Blood Orange Pound Cake: This bundt somehow manages to be moist without being wet, and dense without being heavy. Enjoy slices of this paradoxical pound cake all day long; they work well morning, (after)noon and night. (via That Oven Feelin’)
20. Coconut Chia Pudding With Blood Orange Gelee: Now these puddings are a delicious way to get your vitamins. Packed with omega-3s and vitamin C, every bite does a body good. (via The Kitchen McCabe)
Do you look forward to the arrival of blood oranges at the grocery store? Share your favorite way to use them with us below!
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)