20 Blood Orange Recipes to Make Winter More Bearable
With their sweet-tart flavor and radiant rouge hue, there’s nothing quite like blood oranges to add a burst of sunshine to your plate. They’re in season now, so you’ll definitely want to check out these 20 bloody delicious ways to use these outstanding orbs. With both sweet and savory options to choose from, go ahead and make a whole menu centered on this fab citrus. They’ll disappear from the farmers’ market before you know it, so take advantage while you can!
1. Blood Orange Polenta Cake: Orange zest and juice amplify the gorgeous golden hue of this polenta cake, not to mention the flavor. Coupled with a unique texture, each slice delivers n out-of-the-ordinary pastry experience. (via Pastry Workshop)
3. Baked Blood Orange Cheesecake: Flecked with zest, this creamy cheesecake packs a considerable citrus flavor. And that’s even before it’s topped with a ring of sugared orange chips. (via Figs and Pigs)
4. Spicy Blood Orange Chicken Wings: Whoever came up with the phrase “ain’t no thang like a chicken wing” must have been referring to these blood-orange-glazed, baked bad boys. The sweet and spicy coating knows how to bring the heat. (via Yes to Yolks)
5. Blood Orange Bourbon Paloma: Turn the usual paloma combo of grapefruit juice and tequila on its head with this blood orange and bourbon version. It features the same kick along with an equally pretty-in-pink shade. (via The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen)
6. Sesame Tahini + Blood Orange Curd Cookies (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free): The nutty flavor of these sesame cookies pairs beautifully with the creamy, homemade citrus curd that sandwiches them together. (via Will Frolic for Food)
8. Roasted Beet and Orange Salad With Pistachios and Feta: The vibrant colors of beets and blood oranges are a lovely match in this healthy side, but that’s not all. You’ll want to go back for seconds once you experience the mix of earthy veggies, puckery citrus and tangy feta. (via Girl Versus Dough)
9. Coconut Rice Pudding With Blood Orange and Lime-Vanilla Sugar: During the dead of winter, each spoonful of this tropical rice pudding is sure to lift your spirits. (via The Kitchen McCabe)
11. Blood Orange Whiskey Sour: No neon sour mix here. Instead, this refreshing sip keeps things fresh with simple syrup and a duo of citrus juices, along with a few dashes of bitters for balance. (via A Cocktail Life)
13. Drunk French Toast Sticks With Beer Blood Orange Syrup: Who says French toast sticks are just for kids? Not us. Especially when they’re made from scratch and served with a beer-spiked syrup. (via The Beeroness)
15. Winter Citrus Galette: Transport your taste buds to warmer locales by topping this winter-ready galette with a dollop of whipped coconut cream. You’ll love how the freeform tart requires no specialty equipment whatsoever — just a regular ol’ baking sheet. (via Salted Plains)
16. Winter Citrus Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing: Sweet meets savory in this showstopper of a citrus salad. The pop of both poppy seeds and cashews truly sets this one apart from the rest. (via A Happy Food Dance)
18. Blood Orange Pound Cake: This bundt somehow manages to be moist without being wet, and dense without being heavy. Enjoy slices of this paradoxical pound cake all day long; they work well morning, (after)noon and night. (via That Oven Feelin’)
20. Coconut Chia Pudding With Blood Orange Gelee: Now these puddings are a delicious way to get your vitamins. Packed with omega-3s and vitamin C, every bite does a body good. (via The Kitchen McCabe)
Do you look forward to the arrival of blood oranges at the grocery store? Share your favorite way to use them with us below!