Dating Books for Every Kind of Girl
For every single girl on OK Cupid, there’s someone who is holding out to meet someone IRL. And while some of your friends may be hunting for “The One,” others only want a hookup. Bottom line: Not all single ladies want the same thing. And on top of that, everyone is coming from a different place. One person may be a total dating virgin, while another has had her heart (or um, apartment) broken in half and another may have kids in tow. Regardless of where you’re coming from and what you want, dating can be hard and confusing. To make it a little easier, we rounded up nine books that give some pretty spectacular insight, no matter what your single situation is.
1. 500 Dates: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Online Dating World ($10): If you’ve finally bit the bullet and made yourself an online dating profile, you probably feel a bit overwhelmed. Relationship expert Mark Miller penned this hilarious book about what he learned through putting himself out there, and we mean really out there. Not only do you get some much-needed insight into the male mind, but he also has some great ideas about what to talk about and where to go.
2. It’s Just A F****ing Date ($14): The amazingly witty duo who wrote He’s Just Not Into You and It’s Called A Breakup Because It’s Broken dish out more words of relationship wisdom with their signature blend of brutal honesty and sympathy. There’s advice on everything from how to get asked out, how to figure out if you are actually on a date (or if it’s just a friend hang) and how to figure out your standards (because you have some, right?).
3. The Love Playbook ($12): La La may be married to New York Knicks player Carmelo Anthony, but she’s got her own thing going on too. Growing her own career is something that’s been important to her from the start, and she did it without compromising. In her new book she explains how you can do it too.
4. Meeting Your Half Orange ($10): Have a weakness for bad boys? This book will tame you and help you find someone stable who won’t let you down. The advice is rooted in science and is about how to put out positive vibes so you attract positive, healthy people in return. Jillian Michaels is a fan, so that counts for something, right?
5. Getting Past Your Breakup ($10): Trying to put yourself back out there while you’re still picking up the pieces from your last relationship is rough, but this book can help. This is not a book about how to win back your ex. It’s a guide for how to move on gracefully without looking back. There are steps on how to stop thinking about your ex, figuring out why your relationships keep going wrong and how to feel happy being alone. Because you 100 percent can.
6. The Introverted Women Relationship and Dating Guide ($13): If you’re more on the quiet side, you may be used to your extroverted friends getting more attention from guys because they’re more willing to go up to strangers and insert themselves into a group conversation. BUT you can get the same amount of attention, you just have to tweak your game. And this genius guide tells you how.
7. Getting Naked Again ($13): Dating divorced is a bit different than the first time around, but this guide answers all the hard questions dealing with sex, emotions and money. And instead of sounding preachy, it’s like a savvy friend dishing out really really great advice. Plus, the chapters are peppered with real-life stories from divorced women who found love again.
8. Not Your Mother’s Rules ($14): The Rules is a classic dating book, but it’s a bit outdated, so authors Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider put out a new one with the help of their daughters. This new version sets strict guidelines about holding out for “The One” while potential suitors are texting you and checking you out on Facebook. Like the original, there’s a fair share of tough love involved, but if you hold out, the hope is that the next book you buy will be one to help you plan your wedding.
9. It Takes All 5: A Single Mom’s Guide to Finding the Real One ($15): From a woman who’s been there comes a handbook for single moms looking to get back in the game. Zane offers up tips on how to flirt and find the person you’re really meant to be with. As you can guess from the title, the single-mom dating philosophy is five-fold, making it easy to remember and live out.
Did we leave off your favorite dating book? Share it in the comments.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)