Back to school season means many things, but one of our favorites is shopping. For new supplies, wardrobe — you name it. It’s a chance to reinvent your personal style. The most exciting, though, is prepping to go to college: That bedroom you’ve lived in since you were three is about to be replaced by something completely new. Something you get to decorate. While we’re sure you’ve already got your Pinterest boards and packing lists organized, we wanted to chime in with a few stellar finds to help you out.
1. Metal Photo Clip String Set ($14): We know you’re super excited about your new adventure, but that doesn’t mean leaving old pals behind. Make sure you have a stylish way to display snaps of your fam + friends.
4. Ofelia Blanket in White ($20): It’s pretty much impossible to know ahead of time whether your room will run hot or cold, so it’s best to be prepared with a multitude of fluffy throw blankets. Maybe you can even get away with bringing this one to class when you read Hamlet.
8. Flameless Wax Pillar Candles ($15): Learn from our mistakes and don’t even try to sneak in real candles. The fees aren’t worth it. Lucky for you, you can snag a few of these flameless puppies for all the ambience and none of the fire hazard.
10. Epic Mat ($24): We’re hoping this mat will be a self-fulfilling prophecy (I mean, really, you’re in college — how could it not be epic?). On the practical side, it will also keep you from tracking muddy bootprints into your room come winter. So there’s that.
12. Over the Door Shoe Storage ($24): Take full advantage of your (sadly) limited closet space by hanging your shoes over the door. When it’s open, you’ll never see them, and it’ll be way easier to find that elusive match.
14. Washi Paper Tape ($5): You know we love us some washi tape. In fact, we have the perfect DIY for this situation: You may not be able to paint your dorm room, but you can whip up some washi tape wallpaper!
15. Ängsskära Duvet Cover + Pillowcases ($15): This linen set is a steal. And its urban-modern feel will earn you some serious style cred.
22. Hexagon White Paper Lantern ($8): Stick an actual lightbulb in this lantern (or some string lights… ) for a gorgeous faux chandelier.
23. Large Marquee Arrow in Teal ($13): By now, it’s pretty clear we’re big fans of lights in our decor. We DIY-ed our own Brit + Co marquee light, so if you’re feeling crafty, you can even create your own and save your $13 for something else on this list!
Bonus Tips: You don’t want your dorm makeover hampered by Res Life rules about not putting holes in the walls, etc. With command hooks ($4) and a tension rod ($6) you can hang anything, and no one will be the wiser come May. Contact paper ($6) is a quick way to add color and protect your stuff from who-knows-how-old drawers and bookcases. And most importantly: The bed. You’re going to be spending a lot of time there, and while you may not know who used it before you, you can guarantee your sleeping surface is clean and comfy with a foam pad ($15). Go ahead and consider yourself set for dorm life.
Grads, how did you deck out your dorm room? Freshies, what are you most looking forward to? Join the convo in the comments!