Sitting down to enjoy dinner as a family on a regular basis can be tough today. Between work, extracurricular activities, and shuttling the kids around, our main concern with dinner is that it’s fast and at least somewhat nutritious. There are countless recipes out there that cater to a busy schedule, like hasty sheet-pan dinners and soba noodle dishes you can whip up in a snap. But, every once in a while, it’s nice to step it up and create a wholesome meal that is both comforting and nostalgic — like that shepherd’s pie Grandma used to make. Look to these 14 Sunday dinner recipes to make it happen.
1. Extra Cheesy Classic Lasagna: A traditional cheesy lasagna can never disappoint. Complete with homemade noodles and homemade sauce, this will taste just like nonna’s lasagna. (via Half Baked Harvest)
2. Parmesan Crusted Garlic Butter Roasted Chicken: Thanks to the hot counter at the supermarket, bringing a full-roasted chicken to your dinner table isn’t out of the question. But making it yourself at home can be rewarding, and this recipe makes it oh-so worth the effort. (via Little Kitchen Big World)
3. Filipino Chicken Adobo: This saucy and garlicky chicken is what dreams are made of. In just 30 minutes, you’re rewarded with chicken so tender, it falls straight off the bone. (via The Endless Meal)
4. Potato and Cheese Gluten-Free Pierogi: If you grew up with an Eastern European grandmother, you know that those pierogi in the freezer section at the supermarket have NOTHING on the real deal. These gems take some effort and practice, but the reward is priceless. (via Mr. Farmer’s Daughter)
5. Jo’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken: Not familiar with the crunchy sound of biting into a hunk of crispy fried chicken? Then you certainly didn’t grow up in the south. This Southern fave cannot be matched. (via Jo Cooks)
6. Cantonese Chicken and Salted Fish Fried Rice: This is a must-have dish for many American-born Chinese. The slight nuttiness of cooked and melted anchovies plus the essence of cheese are just too hard to pass up. (via The Woks of Life)
8. Pineapple Honey Glazed Ham: It’s hard to beat a sweet glazed ham — especially when pineapple is involved! You certainly don’t have to wait for the holidays to cook this bad boy; this Sunday is just fine. (via Wonky Wonderful)
9. Whole Wheat Honey-Jalapeño Cornbread Chicken Tamale Pie: This mouth-watering recipe sits in many family vaults, and for very good reason. It’s easy to make, it’s comforting, and it’s something the entire family looks forward to. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
10. Cheddar Ham Chowder: Grandmothers make the *best* soup, hands down. When it’s a rich and silky chowder it’s no contest, but we believe you could make Grandma proud with this one. (via The Gracious Wife)
11. Cuban Roast Cornish Game Hens: This swoon-worthy dinner is guaranteed to impress. Though these hens are marinated over night, you only need an hour of roasting time before they’re ready for Sunday dinner perfection. (via Foolproof Living)
12. The Perfect Prime Rib Roast: Prime rib just screams Sunday dinner. With a side of fluffy mashed potatoes, a veg, and some soft rolls, this meaty roast will be a meal to remember. (via The Woks of Life)
13. Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani: Aromatic basmati rice amps things up with saffron in this dish. You can serve this yummy concoction up with your choice of marinated drumsticks or boneless chicken thighs. (via Foodbound)
14. Classic Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls: Though Grandma never made *her* cabbage rolls in a slow cooker, it’s probably only because she didn’t have the option. These mounds of meat-stuffed cabbage taste just as good as she made them; the only difference is the convenient twist. (via Paleo Grubs)
Follow us on Pinterest for more delicious dinner inspo.