22 Easy Ways to Color Block Your Home
As far as we’re concerned, EVERYTHING looks better when there’s color blocking involved. The dresses are more fun, your nails are more colorful and the most basic items are party ready. And if you think we’ve had enough of this trend, think again because you can never have too much color in your life. Whether you choose to buy or DIY, embrace the rainbow by incorporating these 22 color block items into your kitchen and home.
3. Dowood Table Lamp Collection ($195+): We love everything about these lamps, from the color blocking to the geometric shapes. The diagonal lines of the wire base play up the geometric feel, making this lamp even cooler. We know, you didn’t think that was possible.
4. Pantone Espresso Set ($70): Pantone is royalty when it comes to all things color (these are the guys that get to declare the Color of the Year), so it’s only natural that this color blocked espresso set would make the list. It’s perfect for gifting to your favorite coffee drinker.
5. DIY Color Blocked Garden Markers: Every home chef needs an herb garden (and hey, even if you’re no chef you always need fresh mint to make mojitos). An indoor herb garden is easier to make than you would think and these little markers make it more fun. (via Sarah Hearts)
7. Color Block Magnets ($26 for set of 12): The humble magnet gets a makeover with the help of color blocking. The shape is just a simple square block, but the colors and triangle print give it a modern pop-art twist.
8. Color Block Placemat ($18): Although sometimes forgotten in lieu of other party decor, placemats are a great way to liven up your table. This one is also uniquely shaped, making it waaaayyy cooler than regular old rectangular mats.
9. Color Blocked Baguette Cutting Boards ($95): These nautical themed wooden boards are not only bold and stylish, they’re also multifunctional. Use the painted side for serving up cheese and snacks, and the other side as a chopping board.
10. DIY Color Block Food Domes: These colorful domes are such a cute way to keep unwanted bugs away from food at picnics and outdoor events. They can also be used as a funky way to serve (and reveal) your food at parties. (via Sugar + Cloth)
11. DIY Color Block Cutting Board: While we’re all for color here at Brit HQ, there’s something so elegant about something that’s simply white. But if you really can’t deal with the lack of color (which we totally understand!), it’s easy enough to recreate this in your favorite bright hue. (via Jennifer Rizzo)
12. Assembly Home Color Block Mug ($20 for set of four): Coffee mugs are one of those items that your kitchen cabinets are probably overflowing with. And really, can you ever have too many of them? Nope. Add to your collection with these awesome color blocked mugs (which also come with matching plates and bowls… just sayin’).
13. Moth Origami Lamp Shade ($101): In the words of celeb stylist Rachel Zoe, we DIE over this lampshade! The architectural shape is unlike anything we’ve seen before and the whole thing is folded out of one piece of paper (crazy!).
14. Modern Neon Hardwood Salad Bowl ($54): Neons, pastels and neutrals: Somehow these three distinct colors go together beautifully in this wooden bowl. Make sure to browse around Nicole Porter’s Etsy shop for many more options like this.
15. Color Block Muddler ($20): You’ve seen bartenders use muddlers to make your favorite cocktails and now you can do the same at home. Snatch up this handy little tool in a color block print and try out some delicious cocktail recipes.
16. Colorful Door Knobs: At some point in your 20’s, IKEA was the go-to for all your furniture needs. But that doesn’t mean you need to be stuck with the same look as everyone else. The tiny pop of color from these DIY knobs will make a huge impact towards personalizing your space. (via Design Love Fest)
21. Color Block Candles: Candles are a great way to add simple decor elements to your home. Make a bunch of these color block crayon candles and gift them to everyone you know — including yourself. You can buy the kit right here. (via Brit + Co)
22. DIY Color Block Wine Rack: DIY and colors are what we’re known for at Brit + Co, so it’s only natural that we’d have so many color block projects in our archives. Repurpose coffee cans into a truly unique wine rack for your bar. (via Brit + Co)
How are you going to incorporate the color block trend into your home? Do you prefer to buy or DIY? Comment away!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.