There’s something about getting our hands all over dessert that makes it all the more sweet. How else do you explain the popularity of hand pies, ice cream sandwiches and of course, cupcakes? These 22 wonderful whoopie pies give you even more options for handheld enjoyment. Sandwiching a plume of fluffy filling between two sweet (or savory) cakes — each recipe creates an exceptionally tempting treat.
1. Chocolate Whoopie Pies With Buttercream Frosting: Nothing wrong about kicking things off with a classic. Not unlike Oreos, you can’t go wrong with a little chocolate-vanilla dessert sandwich action. (via My Ninja Naan)
2. Coconut Gobs With Ube Filling: Believe it or not, not even a single drop of food coloring went into the filling of these coconutty “gobs.” The culprit for such a vibrant violet hue: purple sweet potato. (via Jun-Blog)
3. Pumpkin Whoopie Pies With Cream Cheese Filling: Can you really ever have too much pumpkin? We love that these can be enjoyed on the go, making them an ideal treat to take along to the pumpkin patch. (via Martha Stewart)
4. Strawberry Shortcake Whoopie Pies: Set these out for the fourth, and don’t be surprised if they disappear in the blink of an eye. But there’s no need to wait ’til July rolls around again — they’re perfect treats to whip up whenever. (via Erica’s Sweet Tooth)
7. Cinnamon Roll Whoopie Pie: Refrigerated cinnamon buns never come with quite enough frosting for our liking, so it’s nice to see a whoopie pie that corrects this oversight. A thick layer of cinnamon-cream-cheese buttercream frosting is stuffed in the middle, making these rolls simply irresistible. (via The Gunny Sack)
11. Red Velvet Whoopie Pies: Want to make these red velvet cakes a year-round treat? It’s simple. Just swap out (or omit) the Valentine’s day sprinkles with whatever’s in season, and add a few drops of complementary-hued food coloring. (via Tide and Thyme)
13. Jalapeño Cornbread Whoopie Pies With Honey Buttercream: Say hello to these ever-so-tempting, sweet-savory bites. (via Serious Eats)
15. PB+J Whoopie Pies: From time to time, even a classic combo like peanut butter and jelly needs an upgrade. Featuring a slick of homemade strawberry jam between two peanut-y cookies, these sandwiches will please the palates of adults and kids alike. (via Port and Fin)
17. Blueberry Whoopie Pies: There’s no shortage of blueberry flavor packed into these pies, studding both the batter and the whipped filling. You’ll get a burst of berries in every bite. (via Carmel Moments)
18. Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies: Chocolate and peanut butter is always a winning combo in our book. These brownie-like cake sandwiches take things to the next level with ease. (via Ichigo Shortcake)
22. Savory Whoopie Pies: Wash down these smoked salmon and dill-cream-cheese whoopie pies with a glass of Champagne or a festive cocktail this New Year’s Eve. They’re a nice twist on the typical blini. (via Laura Ashley)
Are whoopie pies a big deal where you’re from? What’s your favorite flavor combo to make? We’d love to know — let’s talk below.