ICYMI: 6 Topics You Should Be Discussing at Brunch This Weekend
The best part of waking up on a Saturday or Sunday (other than that alarm going off a little later than usual) is your standing brunch club committee meeting. Other than the most important aspects of brunch — getting full and day drunk — there’s bound to be plenty of convos going down at the table too. Catch up on all the news that happened over the past week below — we’re sure you missed a thing or two — before ordering that first mimosa or bloody mary. Go ahead, you know you want your BFFs to believe you’re the most in-the-know ;)
1. Let’s Play Celebrity: Last weekend’s Teen Choice Awards without a doubt provided plenty of moments for your table to gossip about. But if that’s not your group’s cup of tea others in Hollywood revealed plenty. Convo-worthy moments from the past week include Elizabeth Banks’ reason for getting into directing, Victoria’s Secret angel Candice Swanepoel’s subtle engagement ring reveal, Jennifer Aniston’s wedding band debut, Kylie Jenner’s mini tatt shot, Lena Dunham’s DIYable dressing room and Caitlyn Jenner-inspired art. Since we’re sure you’re just like us, Halloween prep has already begun for you and there were plenty of Pin-worthy moments this week. Check out ideas from the D23 Expo as well as pop culture couples costumes and even inspo straight from celeb Instagram accounts. And major ICYMI, there are eight September issue magazines that feature women of color front + center, first time ever and it better not be the last. (Photos via Self, Redbook, Shape + Vogue)
— Andrew Curry (@andrewcurryla) August 20, 2015
2. Child Chatter: First things first, Kelly Clarkson announced she’s pregnant with her second child in the most adorable way ever at her concert. All the feels and well wishes for the singing mommy! Other trending toddler and beyond news you’ll wanna discuss are Jaime King’s luxe nursery for T.Swift’s godson, trending pop culture baby names (spoiler alert: there’s lots of GoT newborns), Ellen’s DIY ready GapKids jacket patches, the reveal of the newest Disney’s princess and 5-year-old Hailey Dawson, who has a 3D printed “Flexihand” and got to throw the first pitch at a Baltimore Orioles game this week. Since it’s back to school time you’re gonna wanna share what’s trending on Pinterest as well as limit your kids’ after school TV time (apparently it creates bullies!). Most importantly, if you considering adding a furry kid to your fam you and your brunch-mates should take this pet-matching quiz to find out the canine for you (and where to get it).
3. Tech Talk: Before anything else, go and DL GIPHY CAM. There’s nothing better than brunch GIFs, right?! When you and your crew are finally done making all the GIFs (if ever) press on and chat about the randomness of the most popular emoji by state, how you all can live your Hermione fantasies now with a wand app, Google Maps’ game-changing night mode update, the IMDB for Makers and an app that gives you an estimate on how long it will take you to read that book you’ve been swearing you’re gonna read all summer long. Finish off on everyone’s fave topic: iOS devices. We learned of a potential release date for the next generation of iPhones (and that there may be a pink model), a trick for seeing how strong (or crappy) your phone’s reception is and even why the iPod Touch is an undercover necessary device.
4. Style Session: Another week, another Kardashian/Jenner going blonde. That light locks debut wasn’t the only haircentric news though because Fifth Harmony’s Normani Kordei gave us major gray highlight inspo, underrated pop star Carly Rae Jepsen made us want the choppy bob for fall, we discovered a multifunctional hair clip and a growing man bun got some paddle brush action. In the beauty world 60-year-old grandmother vlogger Melissa and plus-size model Liris Crosse further helped redefine glamour while Kristen Stewart gave us ultra-glam cat eye. More makeup moments involved a makeup artist that practices no-makeup makeup looks, the debut of Urban Decay’s latest massive palette, the discovery of rubber face masks and a Korean company that’s going to make sheet masks easily accessible. Once the discussion turns to fashion let your GFs know about Warby Parker’s latest collab, Uniqlo’s Disney collection (and the company’s new four-day workweek plan), H&M’s recycled denim line (and a second peek at that Balmain team-up), the Man Repeller’s fall coat collab and news about Melissa McCarthy’s clothing line. (Photo via Goddess Lingerie)
5. Breaking Bread: If you don’t know, PSL season is rapidly approaching. We’re sure you and your gals were aware of that though. Aside from the oncoming PSL avalanche sure to happen at offices, campuses and basically everywhere in a few weeks more delicious treats were delivered to us this week. We discovered how to make drink emoji IRL, the next superfood, a UTI preventing bev and even a poop-themed cafe (WHAT?!). There were also two food-focused studies of interest: the stomach is the way to a woman’s heart (YAY!) and regular wine consumption could lead to cancer (NAY!). Oh, and for you with the munchies, there’s gonna be a weedery. (Photo via Starbucks)
6. Creative Convo Starters: Share with the table that lifehacks from 100 years ago are STILL relevant for life today. After blowing their mind with those vintage secrets let your group know next game night will include Assumptions (basically an illustrated Cards Against Humanity) and that they should be carrying around scented pods to release their stress. Then remind them to register for Re:Make so they can get inspired, be creative and meet #girlbosses.
What else will you be chatting about over brunch this weekend? Share those topics with us in the comments.