6 Important Topics You Should Be Talking About at Labor Day Brunch
It’s a long weekend thanks to Labor Day, and that means one thing: an extra brunch day! The past seven days offered plenty of news for you and your brunchmates to chat about while indulging in sweet and savory plates and bottomless beverages. Check out everything you may have missed below then report it all to everyone attending your weekend meal(s).
1. Let’s Play Celebrity: So much went down at this year’s VMAs, we’re sure you and your BFFs have plenty to gossip about re: the most OMG-worthy awards show. Especially the Kanye/T.Swift budding friendship. This week, those in Hollywood also brought us a ’90s Nick revival tease, a comic book from a Hunger Games star, a swoon-worthy Sarah Michelle Gellar/Freddie Prinze, Jr. moment, a resurfaced and inspiring barefaced ScarJo snap, a peek at Sofia Vergara’s wedding day DIY perfume, a hipster Barbie, some home decor inspo from Olivia Wilde, Jenna Lyons’ fave Instagram accounts to follow and underrated celebs to follow on Instagram that aren’t Kim, Bey or Tay. Speaking of Queen Bey, honor her birthday this weekend by starting to prep your Beyoncé Halloween costume. (Photo via @sarahmgellar)
2. Child Chatter: Does your pregnant bestie need some inspo for her upcoming addition? Let her in on an array of baby-focused news. For a DIY pregnancy announcement, she can look to this Vampire Diaries star’s proclamation. When choosing a name, she can take cues from the Cumberbaby’s title and read how Hayden Christensen and Rachel Bilson chose their daughter’s name. Then, post-birth, fill her in on how to be a successful working mom, at least according to Jennifer Love Hewitt (Blake Lively-approved baby bag required). (Photo via @craccola)
3. Tech Talk: Demand everyone at your table — and the restaurant actually — add B+C on Snapchat immediately. Once that task is complete, you can get to talkin’ tech. This week in Google, the Internet giant debuted a new logo and a “fun facts” feature. In Apple world there were iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, Apple TV and Apple Watch 2 rumors alongside a malware scare for jailbroken iPhone owners (YIKES!). Other tech happenings? Instagram got a DM update, Twitter teased some photo upgrades, PayPal gave us personalized URLs, Amazon went offline while Hulu went commercial-free and an essential Netflix hack was uncovered. More things that must be discussed: a new Polaroid camera, a foldable and portable keyboard for your phone, a site that shares startup timelines, one that helps you get a minimal desk, one that helps you avoid awkward email exchangesand another that breaks gender barriers. Finally, Netflix debuted and took away a bunch of things this month. (Photo via Google)
4. Style Session: Kylie went blonde and so did her eyebrows. Bey got bangs, Dakota got ’90s highlights, Maria Sharapova did the spiral braid to her pixie, opal hair became a trend and a man bun got chopped. And that’s just hair shenanigans. More into beauty? Zoe Kravitz got tiny tatted up, Bliss and Rihanna (pro wedding attendee) are releasing makeup collections, a Disney princess lipstick color line was revealed and top models shared their beauty secrets. In the fashion world, Banana Republic and Urban Outfitters debuted their newest collabs (separately), Lululemon revealed it’s switching up its in-store experience, ModClothmight be getting into wedding wear, Forever 21 and Free People debuted their fall campaigns, Timbuk2 introed Femme bags, Ashley Graham gave us a peek at her plus-size lingerie lineand we got a visual timeline of 100 years of lingerie. (Photo via @kyliejenner)
5. Breaking Bread: We had a lot of brilliant food news this week. First things first, corner all of your table buds into promising they will make some burgers this Labor Day weekend while indulging in their first PSL of the season. Then share the delectable deets about dog beer (WOOF!), non-melting ice cream (YAY!) and the first-ever organic ready-to-use baking brand (PRAISE!). Oh, and pass along the latest wedding trend: budtenders ;) (Photo via @flat12bierwerks)
6. Creative Convo Starters: Some revelations to make this weekend: What age you *actually* feel like an adult, why all black everything is good, why thinking positively all the time can hinder productivity and the 10 factors that can inhibit creativity. Also worth sharing: this map for fall brides, bachelorette parties on Halloween, astro sign costume suggestions and the weird things your state Googles the most. P.S. Come to Re:Make next weekend instead of brunch ;)
Got any other topics you plan on chatting about at brunch this long weekend? Let us know what they’ll be in the comments.