Weekend Brunch Prep: 6 Topics We’ll Help You Be an Expert on
The weekend is so much better than the week. Not because you don’t have to commute to work for five days, but for the simple fact that Saturday and/or Sunday involve the most important meal(s) of the week: brunch! The midday food + drink session isn’t complete without a little BFF gossip and discussions about the past week in news. If you were far too busy to keep up with everything that went down this week, get to the bottom of this post and you won’t feel like you missed out on anything since your last gal-pal meetup. Happy catching up + drunk eating ;)
1. Let’s Play Celebrity: You better believe that celebs, like always, provided plenty to gossip about over brunch this week. We got treated to multiple romance-related moments — Ashlee Simpson’s wedding photos, Bachelorette Kaitlyn picked her man, Ed Sheeran helped with *another* proposal and Kylie + Demi redefined the ring finger. Famous folks also served up endless inspo M-F in the form of bod by Khloe, vacay like Amy + JLaw, an inspiring TED Talk from OITNB star Jackie Cruz and style/tattoo ideas from Ireland Baldwin. Romance and inspo aside, the most important events of the week were Harry Potter/J.K. Rowling’s birthday and the multiple previews of Fuller House that were revealed. 2016 can’t come soon enough! (Photo via @realevanross)
2. Child Chatter: So much baby news this week! But first, Taylor Swift met her godson! Other than that aww-inducing meet + greet, this week also brought us news of Mark Zuckerberg’s future daughter, the birth of Ashlee Simpson’s little lady, the arrival of Caitlyn Jenner’s newest granddaughter and the reveal of Zoe Saldana’s post-twins body. Also up for brunch discussion: Prince George’s unbelieveable treehouse, Sarah Michelle Gellar’s jiu jitsu daughter and David Beckham’s Harper-honoring tattoo. Since that’s not enough celeb kid news (is there ever really enough?), plenty was shared on social media this week, too. Like Amber Rose’s lessons to son Sebastian and two “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)”-related stories, Kate Hudson + her son’s dance and the Riley Curry v. Leah Still adorable dance-off. While all of those celeb kids are extra brunch topic-worthy, don’t forget about the badass biotech mom, a new innovative car seat and the fact that the Brits are teaching their kids to code. Step it up, America. (Photo via @taylorswift)
3. Tech Talk: The return of the flip phone, you say? Arm your gals with iPhone rumors, battery tips + tricks and overheating prevention secrets this week instead of waxing poetic over that throwback device. Then share the latest Google feature, what’s heading to Netflix in August, a new GIF-making website + an LGBTQ-friendly directory, a smart shower curtain and the app that will answer all of your sex Qs. Above all, don’t forget to turn your BFFs on to the news of the latest banned Instagram hashtag, the hashtag being used to call out the lack of diversity in the tech industry and this week’s must-follows: @popculturegoespunk, @subwaybookreview + #FindtheGirlsOntheNegatives. (Photo via Google)
4. Style Session: Another week down, another handful of celebs showing off new hairstyles for us to fawn over. This week brought ‘do debuts from Amanda Seyfried, Ashley Tisdale, Reese Witherspoon, Giuliana Rancic, Georgia May Jagger and even Macaulay Culkin. The hair-raisers didn’t stop there — we also uncovered hair tapestries, a fab bearded duo and the beginning of a man bun journey. The beauty world was on point this week too thanks to #thighreading, #scarrednotscared, Kaitlyn Bristowe’s mascara trick, the drugstore product that’s better than MAC and a century timelapse of Maybelline. From the fashion world, you + your ladies will probably be amped to chat about Tory Burch’s athleisure line, Kylie + Kendall’s shoe collection (+ Caitlyn’s fall-ready fashions), Target’s new affordable denim (denim-on-denim is having a moment), Melissa McCarthy’s line, Madewell’s latest collab, Adidas’s new teen line and Whitney Port’s QVC pieces. There was also plenty of inspiring fashion news this week for you to gush over at brunch c/o a potential Victoria’s Secret plus-size angel, Topshop’s body positive mannequins and Women’s Running covergirl Erica Jean (Schenk). (Photo via @kristin_ess)
5. Breaking Bread: We’re gathered here today to indulge in a sweet + savory meal. And gossip about how millennials are changing the culture of food (duh). Share with your table where to find the best pizza in the US, what those lines mean on solo cups, your fave kitchen looks from IKEA’s 2016 catalog, how you’re dying to book a ticket to visit the Pantone Café, the secret to drinking your way to better skin and an intelligent oven that will make everyone’s life easier. All while eating + sipping away. Bon appétit!
6. Creative Convo Starters: After you’ve gotten all the small talk out of the way (and are several cocktails deep), it’s time to get down to business: becoming more creative. Share with your girls that being sarcastic actually makes them more creative (among other ways), let them know the day of the week they should be starting new habits, offer up some girlboss tips and stress to them how keeping a dream journal is important. Then wrap it up by urging them to learn how to code — who doesn’t wanna be nicknamed Coding Queen? — or at least encourage the start of a book club and a visit to Re:Make.
What will be the biggest topics of conversation at your brunch table this weekend? Share them with us in the comments.
(Photo via Brit + Co)